- OTRES Home
- Mission Statement
- OTRES History
- MARC Program
- RISE Program
- LSAMP Program
- Bridges Program
- Research Mentors
- Graduate School
- Events Calendar
- Student Academic Resources
- Scholarship and Financial Aid Resources
- Graduate School Funding
- OTRES News
- Community of Scholars
- Summer Research Opportunities
- Important Links
- OTRES Staff
- Contact Information
Graduate School Funding
For graduate school in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), you can count on receiving funding to pay for your graduate education, specifically for a PhD.
Most graduate programs will give you:
- Sometimes health insurance
Your PhD funding comes from:
- Departmental support: teaching and research assistantships, scholarships, fellowships and grants.
- University-wide fellowships funded by state and foundations
THE ABOVE FUNDING IS OFFERED TO YOU WITHOUT APPLYING AS PART OF YOUR FUNDING PACKAGE.
This type of funding is awarded directly to you and you have to apply directly to each program. The following sites have nationally competitive fellowships for 1-4 years of graduate studies. Most of these provide a stipend plus cost of education.
- To increase diversity in science and engineering.
- Provides fellowships for early-career graduate students who pursue research-based master’s and doctoral degrees in NSF-supported disciplines.
- Awards about 125 fellowships annually
- Full tuition and fees, plus a minimum $16k stipend
- Masters or PhD programs – Requiring a research thesis or dissertation
- GEM applicants, awarded or not, receive many opportunities, such as: graduate fee waivers and GRE registration fee reduction.
- Application Deadline is in November
- 80 graduate fellowships
- Tuition and fees, plus a $35k for living expenses
- Masters or PhD programs - Requiring a research thesis or dissertation
- Application opens in November
- Visit their website for more details
- Awards about 200 fellowships
- PhD program requiring a research thesis
- Support for research training leading to the PhD degree and/or MD-PhD degree in biomedical sciences for selected students from underrepresented minority groups.
- Great funding during your doctoral work. Specifically for former MARC Scholars