For graduate school in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), you can count
on receiving funding to pay for your graduate education, specifically for a PhD.
Most graduate programs will give you:
- Sometimes health insurance
Your PhD funding comes from:
- Departmental support: teaching and research assistantships, scholarships, fellowships
- University-wide fellowships funded by state and foundations
THE ABOVE FUNDING IS OFFERED TO YOU WITHOUT APPLYING AS PART OF YOUR FUNDING PACKAGE.
This type of funding is awarded directly to you and you have to apply directly to
each program. The following sites have nationally competitive fellowships for 1-4
years of graduate studies. Most of these provide a stipend plus cost of education.
National Science Foundation (NSF)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
US Department of Homeland Security
National Defense of Science & Engineering
Ford Foundation Fellowship
U.S. Department of Energy
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- To increase diversity in science and engineering.
- Provides fellowships for early-career graduate students who pursue research-based
master’s and doctoral degrees in NSF-supported disciplines.
- Awards about 125 fellowships annually
- Full tuition and fees, plus a minimum $16k stipend
- Masters or PhD programs – Requiring a research thesis or dissertation
- GEM applicants, awarded or not, receive many opportunities, such as: graduate fee
waivers and GRE registration fee reduction.
- Application Deadline is in November
US Department of Energy Fellowships
- 80 graduate fellowships
- Tuition and fees, plus a $35k for living expenses
- Masters or PhD programs - Requiring a research thesis or dissertation
- Application opens in November
- Visit their website for more details
National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship
- Awards about 200 fellowships
- PhD program requiring a research thesis
National Research Service Award Predoctoral Fellowships for Minority Students
- Support for research training leading to the PhD degree and/or MD-PhD degree in biomedical
sciences for selected students from underrepresented minority groups.
NIGMS MARC Predoctoral Fellowships
- Great funding during your doctoral work. Specifically for former MARC Scholars
Resources to help you search for extramural funding
Community of Science – COS
Pathways to Science