Academic Affairs Strategic Plan
CSUSM is a dynamic university with a global vision. Guided by a perspective that transcends borders, Academic Affairs serves the University community by creating a culture of academic excellence that fosters diversity, promotes innovation and sustains intellectual excitement.
Through shared leadership, Academic Affairs -
- Challenges intellectual, geographic and technological boundaries.
- Engages students as active participants in their education.
- Empowers every member of the academic community to contribute fully to the vision with passion and purpose.
- Supports active scholars, artists and practitioners as they create effective teaching-learning pathways.
- Expands University engagement with community, business and institutional partners.
- Establishes CSUSM as the university of first choice for students.
Academic Affairs prepares students to be life-long learners and productive contributors to a global society by helping them acquire knowledge and develop skills and values.
Academic Affairs upholds the University’s core values:
- Intellectual Engagement: learning, teaching, discover, and application of knowledge
- Community: shared commitments to service, teamwork, and partnership
- Integrity: respect, honesty, trust, fairness, academic freedom and responsibility
- Innovation: creativity, openness to change, flexibility, responsiveness, and future focus
- Inclusiveness: individual and cultural diversity, and multiple perspectives
More specifically, the core values that drive our approach to decision making, problem solving, and resource allocation are:
- All students are given the opportunity to reach their full academic/educational potential through the CSUSM academic/educational experience.
- Research and creative activity are essential to high quality teaching.
- High quality teaching is essential to high quality learning.
- Students are active participants in the learning process.
- Learning is transferable into multiple real world settings.
- Develop an Academic Master Plan that focuses on programs relevant to our changing society and student demographics.
- Employ pedagogies that are relevant to our changing society and student demographics.
- Invigorate faculty and student research activities.
- Cultivate global perspectives.
- Provide faculty and staff professional development.
- Develop non-state funding sources.
- Provide needed academic technology and library resources.