Puzzles are due to Academic Scheduling by departments a week prior to the schedule build deadline for each semester.
Three Requirements for puzzled rooms:
- Minimum of 48 hours and 75% occupancy rate
- Utilization product greater than or equal to 40
- Room characteristics must be needed by most courses in the puzzle
- Minimum 48 hours and Minimum 75% occupancy (both cannot be at minimum)
- There must be at least 48 hours of class time scheduled
- To find occupancy, take the average capacity of all classes scheduled and divide that by the room's maximum capacity
- In order to meet the next requirement, one of these two numbers (hours scheduled or occupancy) must be above the minimum requirement
- Product of the utilization and scheduled hours in the room has to be more than or equal to 40
- To calculate the product: (average class cap ÷ room cap) * total hours scheduled ≥ 40
- The chart below shows some examples of occupancy percentages and hours scheduled that meet all requirements:
|| Hours Needed
- Room characteristics
- The room characteristic of the space, must match the space requirement of the majority of classes scheduled in a puzzled room. If a computer lab is being puzzled, then the majority of the classes in that space must require a computer lab as part of the courses pedagogy.
If you are unsure if your puzzle meets the above criteria, insert your hours and average cap then select the space to be puzzled below:
If a submission fails to meet the criteria above, the department is given one business day to resolve error(s). If errors are not resolved, the room is released and the courses in it are not puzzled.
Submissions for puzzling specific rooms that have not been assigned to a specific college are allowed. These submissions must be recieved by Academic Scheduling one week prior to the schedule build deadline, and must meet the same puzzling criteria listed above. These additional submissions are not guaranteed. Rooms with the highest utilization (most hours and highest occupancy percentages) will be given preference. Submissions should include a second and/or third room choice when submitted in case the first choice(s) are not available. The college/departmetn will be notified no later than two business days after the submission deadline as to whether or not their puzzle has been approved.
All non-puzzled courses go through the current optimizer process.
- Room Chart for Puzzling - this is a downloadable spreadsheet (if you cannot download this, double check your browser's pop-up blockers)
- Please use new worksheet on same document for each room puzzled.
- Puzzled rooms must adequately meet, but not exceed, capacity
(i.e. Classes of 25 or 61, cannot meet in a 60 capacity room)
Do not go under 75% of room capacity and try to stay as close to 100% as possible.
NEVER go over 100% of room capacity.
- Classroom Capacity and Room Features Information are available on 25Live
Use location tab and search.
- Try to schedule professors with back-to-back classes into the same room
Sorting a query by professors is helpful for this process.
- Approved Course Meeting Times
Unless you have approval from Academic Scheduling, you must use approved class meeting times for all classes.