|Definition:||A student may request that one or two semesters of academic work be disregarded for purposes of grade point average and progress toward degree completion once during their academic career.|
|Authority:||Executive Order 1037|
|Scope:||Applies to any student enrolled at CSUSM.|
|Responsible Division:||Academic Affairs|
|Signature Page/PDF:||View Signatures for Academic Renewal Policy|
A student whose graduation will be delayed by a grade point average deficiency may petition to have up to two semesters or three quarters of undergraduate coursework taken at any institution disregarded from all considerations associated with requirements for the baccalaureate degree. All coursework attempted during the term(s) approved for academic renewal will be disregarded in computing the student's cumulative GPA. In addition, any coursework successfully completed during term(s) approved for academic renewal will no longer count toward fulfillment of any degree requirements. Students may not selectively eliminate coursework. When such action is taken, the student's permanent academic record is annotated so that it is readily evident to the users of the record that no work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, has been applied towards the meeting of degree requirements. The record will show the adjusted grade point average, but all coursework will remain legible on the transcripts.
If another institution has acted to remove coursework from consideration, such action shall be honored in terms of that institution's policy. But, elimination of any coursework's consideration shall reduce by one term the two semester maximum on the application of academic renewal to an individual CSU student's record.
Academic renewal is intended only to facilitate graduation from Cal State San Marcos. It does not apply to individuals who already possess a baccalaureate degree or who are able to meet graduation requirements in a timely manner without the approval of a petition for academic renewal.
- To qualify for academic renewal, a student must meet all of the following conditions:
- The student has formally requested such action and presented evidence that substantiates that the work in question is not representative of the student's current academic ability and/or performance level.
- The previous level of performance was due to extenuating circumstances.
- All degree requirements except the earning of at least a "C" (2.0) grade point average have or will soon have been met.
- The student must present evidence that if the petition is not approved the student will be required to enroll in additional coursework involving one or more additional terms to qualify for the degree.
- At least five years must have elapsed since the term or terms to be disregarded.
- Since the most recent work to be disregarded, the student must have achieved the following academic record at Cal State San Marcos
- At least 15 semester units with a GPA of 3.00 or higher
- At least 30 semester units with a GPA of 2.50 or higher
- At least 45 semester units with a GPA of 2.00 or higher