Custom Course Materials
|Definition:||This policy of Cal State San Marcos deals with customized course materials of non-text book resources that a professor assembles for use in CSUSM courses. This includes workbooks, copyright and non-copyright materials, articles, syllabi, workbooks, recordings, and any other materials that are copied for distribution and use in a CSUSM course.|
|Scope:||This policy applies to all faculty including tenure track, temporary, graduate assistants, and volunteers.|
|Responsible Division:||Academic Affairs|
|Signature Page/PDF:||View Signatures for Custom Course Materials Policy|
There are three categories of Custom Course Materials
- Option A: Collections with Articles and Readings Requiring Copyright Permission
- Option B - Department Fee Material: Material reproduced through Aztec Shops and Montezuma publishing with an option of a department fee of up to 10%.
- Option C - Consignment Material: Materials reproduced and bound before being brought to Aztec Shops for sale. The professor may specify a price not to exceed 110% of the production cost of the material. Aztec Shops will add their costs to this price.
- Copyright Material: Copyright material may only be reproduced through Aztec Shops and Montezuma Publishing after appropriate permissions have been obtained.
- Pricing: All prices include the cost of reproducing the material, costs incurred by Aztec Shops or Montezuma Publishing plus any department fees on original collections or markups on consignment packages.
- Aztec Shop Costs: All costs incurred by Aztec Shops or Montezuma Publishing must be recovered in the sale of the materials.
III. OPTION A - COLLECTIONS WITH MATERIALS REQUIRING COPYRIGHT PERMISSION
- No department fees or markups may be added to material or collections that contain material requiring copyright permission.
IV. OPTION B - DEPARTMENT FEE MATERIAL DETAILS
- No department fees or markups may be added to material or collections that contain materials requiring copyright permission.
- Department Fees : The department fee charged on non-copyright material can be no more than 10% of the selling price of the material and will be placed in a foundation account for the Department or College's use. The department shall decide the use of this money taking into account the faculty contribution(s) toward the generation of the material.
- Foundation Accounts: Faculty charging department fees must work with their department to set up a foundation account. A service charge of 8% is charged by the foundation on each expenditure made from this account. The Department or College may use these funds for any budgeted or non-budgeted project or activity.
V. OPTION C - CONSIGNMENT MATERIAL DETAILS
- Markups on Consignment Material: All funds collected from markups on consignment materials will be paid to the Department's or College at the end of each semester. The department shall decide the use of this money taking into account the faculty contribution(s) toward the generation of the material.