Department Chair Selection
|Definition:||A procedure regarding the process for selecting department chairs.|
|Authority:||President of the University.|
|Scope:||Departments within Academic Affairs.|
|Responsible Division:||Academic Senate|
|Signature Page/PDF:||View Signatures for Department Chair Selection Policy|
I. PRINCIPLES FOR THE SELECTION OF DEPARTMENT CHAIRS
Any full-time probationary or tenured faculty member is eligible to serve as a department chair.
B) Nomination Process
- Nominations shall be open for a minimum of one week.
- Potential candidates may self-nominate or be nominated by Lecturer or tenure –track faculty in the department.
- Permission shall be given by the nominee(s) before a name is placed on the ballot.
- Nominations shall be collected by the Dean’s office.
C) Eligible Voters
- All tenure-track faculty are eligible to vote for nominated candidates.
- All Lecturer faculty with a minimum of 2 semesters of employment in the department are eligible to vote for nominated candidates.
- In the academic year in which the nominating process occurs: (1) tenure-track faculty shall have a full vote; (2) each lecturer faculty member’s vote shall be proportionate to the entitlement time-base for contracted lecturer faculty and rounded to the nearest tenth.
- Faculty with split appointments are entitled to vote in both departments in accordance with C.l to C.3 above.
II. FACULTY PARTICIPATION IN THE SELECTION OF DEPARTMENT CHAIRS
A) Ballot Preparation
- The Dean's office shall prepare the electronic ballots.
- The ballot shall contain the names of one or more nominees.
- The ballot below shall be used in all units:
Department Chair Recommendation Ballot
Each eligible faculty member is encouraged to participate in the process of selecting the Department Chair. Faculty votes are anonymous, and the Dean’s office will maintain strict confidentiality. Each faculty member shall mark their preference in the nominee table.
|Single Nominee||Mark "Approve" or "Do Not Approve"|
|Nominees||Select one nominee only; do not make other marks|
B) Faculty Participation
- The Dean's office will oversee the voting.
- The voting shall take place during the last year of the incumbent's term.
- The electronic voting period will be one week.
- The Dean's office will count the ballots and report the tenure track and lecturer votes separately to the Dean. All votes shall be collected, stored and maintained in such a way to protect the anonymity of all voters.
III. SELECTION OF DEPARTMENT CHAIR BY PRESIDENT'S DESIGNEE
A) When selecting the chair, the President's designee will take into consideration the total votes cast by the department.
B) The President’s designee will inform the department who has been recommended and who has been appointed as department chair.