Post Tenure Review
|Definition:||A policy for the periodic post-tenure review of CSUSM faculty.|
|Authority:||CSU Unit 3 Collective Bargaining Agreement|
|Scope:||Tenured Unit 3 faculty|
|Responsible Division:||Academic Affairs|
|Signature Page/PDF:||View Signatures for Post Tenure Review Policy|
The purpose of Post Tenure Periodic Evaluation (PTPE) is to provide periodic feedback to faculty members on their effectiveness in all areas considered for retention, tenure, and promotion in order to maintain and improve faculty performance. PTPE should be seen as an important part of a faculty member's professional growth, which provides faculty members with a regular opportunity to assess and revise their professional development plans and goals.
II. REQUIRED REVIEW INTERVALS
A. Faculty unit employees not being considered for promotion are subject to review every five years following the awarding of tenure.
B. Faculty on sabbatical or leave of absence during the scheduled year of review shall undergo PTPE upon return to campus.
C. Faculty who are participating in the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) shall maintain their five-year review cycle.
III. PROCEDURE AND TIMELINE
A. A peer review committee (PRC) of the department or equivalent unit and the Dean/Director of the College/Library/unit shall conduct the PTPE.
B. PTPE Report -- Faculty undergoing a fifth-year PTPE shall submit a PTPE report. The PTPE report shall address the faculty member's work in all areas considered for retention, tenure, and promotion for the years under review. For faculty with teaching responsibilities, the PTPE report will cover the areas of Teaching, Research/Creative Activity, and Service. For librarians, the PTPE report will cover the areas of Professional Performance, Research/Creative Activity, and Service. For SSP-ARs, the PTPE report will cover the areas of Professional Performance, Professional Development, and Service.
- 1. In recognition that PTPE may serve different functions at various points in a faculty member's career, the PTPE report may take one of three possible forms. The faculty member under review shall determine the form best suited for the particular PTPE review. The forms are as follow:
(a) A complete curriculum vitae (in the format recommended for the WPAF ) and up to a three-page narrative highlighting the faculty member's accomplishments since the last review. The complete CV shall contain sections on Teaching (for instructional faculty) or Professional Performance/Professional Development (for librarians and SSP-ARs), Research/ Creative Activity (if appropriate), and Service.
(b) Five annual reports and up to a three-page narrative highlighting the faculty member's accomplishments since the last review. Each annual report shall contain sections on Teaching (for instructional faculty) or Professional Performance/Professional Development (for librarians and SSP-ARs), Research/ Creative Activity (if appropriate), and Service.
(c) A five to seven page narrative highlighting the faculty member's accomplishments in Teaching (for instructional faculty) or Professional Performance/Professional Development (for librarians and SSP-ARs), Research/ Creative Activity (if appropriate), and Service.
- All teaching faculty shall include consideration of student evaluations of teaching as partial evidence of teaching effectiveness. This consideration may take various forms; for example, a description of student evaluations may be included in the narrative, or a page from the summary statistics provided with the student evaluations of instruction obtained for each of the chosen classes, or a single table summarizing item statistics for all courses to be highlighted in the review may be included with the PTPE.
- Any reviewer may request of the candidate additional information on their PTPE report.
- Upon the request of the PRC and/or the Dean/Director, faculty shall be prepared to provide evidence of accomplishments listed in the annual reports.
C. The faculty member shall submit a copy of the PTPE report to the office of the Dean/Director of the College/Library/unit.
D. The Dean/Director will review the PTPE and the PRC report, and write a summary report.
E. The faculty member shall be provided a copy of the PRC and Dean/Director reports.
F. The PRC chair and the Dean shall meet with the faculty member, upon completion of his or her evaluation to discuss strengths and weaknesses. If necessary, a plan for improvement will be developed that shall include periodic status reports.
G. The faculty member may submit a written response to the PTPE assessment.
H. A copy of the PRC's report, the Dean's/Director's summary report, the improvement plan (if any), and the faculty member's response (if any) shall be placed in the faculty member's Personnel Action File.
I. Academic units may develop guidelines for the appropriate level of performance in each of the areas covered by the PTPE report.
J. PTPE Calendar
- March 1: Fifth-year PTPE reports due
- April 1 PRC report due to faculty member
- May 1 Dean/Director's summary due
- End of semester Meeting with PRC chair and Dean completed