California State University San Marcos participates in the system wide CSU Risk Management Authority risk pool. The risk pool is funded by premium contributions from each of the CSU campuses. A campus' level of contribution to the risk pool is based upon a number of factors, including loss history. The campus, as a community, works together to minimize the losses sustained and thereby maintain a reasonable cost for the benefits of the risk pool.
The CSURMA risk pool provides coverage for the following. Contact Risk Management & Safety at ext. 4502 for information about current policy limits.
Public Entity Liability:
- Errors & Omissions
- Educator's Legal Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Employment Practices Liability
- Sudden & Accidental Pollution Legal Liability
- Small (< 26 ft.) Watercraft Liability
- Defense Costs (covered occurrences only)
- All risk for buildings, including flood; excluding earthquake.
- Workers' Compensation benefits
- Employer's Liability
- Industrial Disability Leave
- Non-industrial Disability Leave
- Unemployment Insurance
CSURMA-AIME (Athletics Injury Medical Expense) Program:
- Excess of 3rd party medical
- Travel Accident
In addition to the coverage provided by the CSU risk pool, the campus purchases the following insurance through the risk pool and the State of California:
National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA):
- Catastrophic coverage in excess of CSURMA-AIME.
Inland Marine Property:
- Personal property coverage for musical instruments, fine arts, EDP, cameras, and other miscellaneous equipment identified by the campus and documented with the insurance program administrator.
Student Travel Accident Program:
- Medical coverage for travel related accidents.
- 3rd party liability coverage.
Other types of insurance available to the campus are:
- Available for purchase by students through SHS.
- Available for purchase by colleges or departments on an as needed basis. This program provides Comprehensive Liability and Workers' Compensation, applicable to the country of travel, for short durations (1 - 2 week trips; may be available for longer periods).
- Available for purchase to insure events that are organized by external groups. This insurance may also be purchased to insure campus sponsored events that present additional liability exposure to the campus.