Under the terms and conditions of an agreement, service contract, or lease of space, an outside organization, contractor, consultant or vendor is required to show evidence of adequate insurance coverage by furnishing to the California State University San Marcos a certificate or certificates of insurance that include additional insured endorsements. Insurance requirements should be commensurate with the activities associated with damage to person or property.
I. Certificate of Insurance (COI) evidencing coverages of:
- Commercial General Liability comprehensive or commercial insurance minimum limits each occurrence $1,000,000, general aggregate $2,000,000 aggregate placed with current A.M. Best's rating of no less than A:VII.
- Workers' Compensation (as required by the state of California).
- Employer's Liability insurance $1,000,000 (for those with employees).
- Business Auto coverage of no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence (if necessary).
- Errors and Omissions (for professional service consultants).
All certificates of insurance require the following:
- Provide for thirty (30) days advance written notice to the University of cancellation of any of the insurance coverage
- Provide for the Acceptability of Insurers rating, AM Best – AVII or equivalent unless otherwise agreed to by the University
- Name the State of California, State of California, Trustees of the California State University, California State University San Marcos, and each of their officers, officials, employees, authorized representatives, agents and volunteers, the "University" as additional insureds, except for professional liability and workers’ compensation insurance.
- Insurance Services Office Form # CG 20 10 11 85 - Owners, Lessees, Contractors“ongoing operations & your completed work”
- CG 20 10 07 04 – “ongoing operations”
- CG 20 37 07 04 – “your work” and “products – completed operations hazard”
There are many endorsements available to meet the University’s insurance requirement. Some sample Commercial General Liability endorsements include:
The preferred Additional Insured endorsement, Form CG 20 10 (11/85), is published by the Insurance Services Office (ISO). This form is commonly referred to as the “20 10 11 85.” Basically, this form provides additional insured status for any liability (subject to the policy’s terms and conditions) arising out of the named insured’s operations. This would include liability during the construction process (known as premises and operations) as well as liability after the work is completed (known as completed operations).
Acceptable alternate endorsements
1. Insurance Services Office Form # CG 20 10 10 01 – Owners, Lessees, Contractors“ongoing operations” and “your work” (Stand alone form)
(Must have both to obtain same coverage as CG 20 10 11 85 or CG 20 10 10 01 endorsements)
III. Indemnity/Hold Harmless Provision
Under the terms and conditions of an agreement, service contract, or lease of space, an outside organization, contractor, consultant or vendor is required to agree to the terms of the California State University San Marcos’ indemnity/hold harmless provision. Please contact Procurement for more information.