- RM&S Home
- About Us
- Environmental Protection
- Occupational Health & Safety Programs
- Controlled Substance
- Occupational Safety
- Biological Safety
- Chemical Safety
- Food Safety
- Heat Illness Prevention
- MSDS Links
- Office Safety
- Radiation Safety
- Universal Waste
- Visual Performing Arts Safety
- Campus Emergencies
- Injury & Illness Prevention Program
- Risk Management
Everybody loves to have food at their meetings and events. And why not? Food and drinks make events highly attended and more enjoyable. Risk Management & Safety wants you to have a safe event. In order for your organization to have a safe and healthy event, RM&S has put together this page to assist with food preparation. RM&S is the enforcement agency at CSUSM and uses the California Retail Food Code as the legal standard for retail food facilities and temporary food events
On this page you will find information to assist you with events or meetings that involve food. If there are any questions that are not answered here, please feel free to contact the RM&S main office at (760)750-4502.
Steps to follow to serve food at your event1. Your event must be scheduled 2 weeks in advance. Please contact Events and Conference Services to schedule your event.
2. Once RM&S has been notified of your event, you'll receive the application for Temporary Food and Beverage Permit document that you will need to complete and return to RM&S.
3. Each person working the event must have either a current
- Food handler card approved by San Diego County Health Department
- CSUSM Temporary Food Handler Certificate
4. Each person working the event must have a copy of a food handlers card/certificate and valid ID on the day of the event.
5. Bring a copy of the Temporary Food Facility Permit Guidelines For CSUSM Organizations the day of the event.
CSUSM Temporary Food Handlers Certificate
The CSUSM Temporary Food Handlers Certificate is available for CSUSM faculty, staff and students. This training can be taken in lieu of a San Diego food handlers card, but is only valid for food at CSUSM. The certificate is only valid for the semester in which it was taken. To take this training, please go to the CSUSM Employee Training Center and login to the portal.
Quick Instructions for CSUSM Temporary Food Handlers Certificate Online Training
1. Click on the “Portal Login” button on the right side of the screen.
2. Login through the Portal using your campus username and password.
3. Click on Course Catalog
4. Click on folder icon next to Food Safety.
5. Click on the “Launch” button.
6. Complete the CSUSM Food Safety Training slides. When you have finished the training slides, exit out of the window to record the training to the server.
7. After you have completed the training, you will need to print out a Completion Certificate.
8. Click on “My Transcript” on the left side of your window. Click on “Print” in the line that states “Food Safety”.
Food Safety IIPP Policy:
CSUSM Permit & Guidelines:
- Temporary Food Facility Guidelines for CSUSM Organizations
- Temporary Food Facility Guidelines for Commercial Operations
- Application for Temporary Food and Beverage Permit
Campus Quck Links: