Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.)
The Rape Aggression Defense System is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women. The R.A.D. System is a comprehensive, women-only course that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training.
At CSUSM, R.A.D. is a collaboration with the University Police Department, the SHCS Hope & Wellness Center, and the Gender Equity Center. The Gender Equity Center sponsors students to be able to attend by paying the class fee. To arrange sponsorship, contact email@example.com
The department RAD point of contact is Officer Panza. If you have any questions about the program you can send an email or call them (760) 750-4567.
"To develop and enhance the options of self defense, so they may become viable considerations to the woman who is attacked." Larry Nadeau, Executive Director
Campus Safety Tips
Although the crime rate at CSUSM is very low, you should still be alert to help protect yourself in case of an assault. When you go out, keep these safety tips in mind.
- Learn the best routes between your residence, car and your classes and activities.
- Take the safest route, not the fastest route. Request an escort from the police department during hours of darkness.
- Travel in groups of two or more at night and always walk in well-lit, heavily traveled areas.
- Stay on the part of the sidewalk that is farthest away from shrubs, dark doorways, and alleys.
- Share your class schedule with friends and family, effectively creating a buddy system.
- When you go out, let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back. Know where the emergency telephones are located.
- Wherever you are, stay alert to your surroundings and the actions of people around you.
- Follow your instincts. If something doesn't feel right, change directions, go to an emergency phone or into a public building, or call University Police (911 on campus) (760) 750-4567.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended, even for a few minutes.
- Park in well-lit, well-traveled areas of the parking lot.