How do I contact you?

  • In person:  Cougar Central, Craven Hall 3800 (8:30am until 4:30pm) Monday through Friday
  • By phone:  (760) 750-4490
  • By e-mail:  sfs@csusm.edu
  • By mail: CSUSM ATTN:  CASHIERS 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd., San Marcos, CA 92096

Back to Top



Can I pay prior to registering for my classes?

  • No, you must first register for your classes.

Will I be sent a bill?

  • No bills will be sent out. All students will find their fee information in their MyCSUSM Student Center. Go to Finances Tab and then click on the Account Inquiry link.

When I register for classes why does my account show "due now"?

  • When you register for classes your fees are now due. if you do not pay your fees before enrollment cancellation you may be dropped from all your classes unless you have a fee deferment. you must drop all your classes online prior to the first day of the term or you will owe a debt to the University.

What is a fee deferment?

  • A fee deferment is a hold on your account that exempts the student from payment because their fees are going to be paid from another source, such as from financial aid. 

When is enrollment cancellations?

  • Enrollement cancellation is a process that is run to drop students due to non-payment. Students that have fee deferments on their student account (for Financial Aid for example) will not be dropped. Enrollment cancellation deadlines are located in the online class schedule. Please click on the term you wish to see then click on Fees and Charges. You must drop all your classes online prior to the first day of the term or you will owe a fee to the University.
  • What happens if I paid for a part time fees (6.0 units or less) then added classes and now owe full-time (over 6.1 units) fees? If a student goes from the part-time (6.0 units or less) to full time (6.1 units or more), then the difference between full-time and part time fees are now due. If you do not pay your fees before enrollment cancellation you may be dropped from ALL your classes unless you have a fee deferment. you must drop all your classes online prior to the first day of the term or you will owe a debt to the University. For enrollment cancellation dates, please refer to the online class schedule and click on the term you wish to see then click on Fees and Charges.

When is the add/drop period?

  • The Add/Drop period for both the Fall and Spring terms are generally the first two weeks of the term.
  • The Add/Drop period for the Summer term is generally the first week of the term.

Where can I pay my fees?

  • You can pay your fees online (a 2.75% convenience fee applies if a credit card is used, e-checks have no convenience fee), in person (during office hours), in our drop box (located against the wall in the northest portion of Tukwut Courtyard), or via the mail ( please allow 6-10 days for delivery). Do not wait until the last minute to make your payment.
  • We must receive your payment prior to the published deadline. Having your payment postmarked prior to the published deadline is not accepted. Your payment must be in the Cashier's office, prior to the deadline, to gurantee your payment is processed on time. we recommend allowing at least 6-10 days before the deadline to allow the payment to be recieved in the cashier's office.
  • To confirm your payment has been processed log onto MyCSUSM. In your student center go to the Finances tab and click on the Account Inquiry.
  • Due to the high volume of calls during payment deadlines it is quicker and more efficient for you to check your account online rather than calling.

What types of payment methods are accepted?

  • Online: MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and VISA (a 2.75% convenience fee applies) or e-Check (0% convenience fee). Please go to your mycsusm.edu Student Center if you choose to make an online payment.
  • In Person: Cash, check, money order, ATM/Debit Card.
  • Drop Box: Check and money order, no cash please. (Checks should be made payable to CSUSM and with your student ID# on the memo line). The silver drop box is located in the northwest wall of Tukwut Courtyard. Putting your payment in the wrong drop box will cause a delay in processing, possibly causing your classes to be dropped, unless you have a fee deferment. It would then be your responsibility to re-register or crash your classes.
  • Mail: Check and money order, no cash please (checks made payable to CSUSM with your student ID# on the memo section). Please allow 6-10 days for delivery to the Cashier's office. Please address your mail to:
    CSUSM Attn: Cashiers
    333 Twin Oaks Valley Rd.
    San Marcos, CA 92096

Why is there a convenience fee for making an online payment?

  • CASHNet is an independent company who provides an outsourced solution so the University can provide more payment options to students. The convenience fee covers the cost of the service, the spftware provided and the cost of maintaining a secure site at which to make the payment.

Does the University make any money off of the convenience fee?

  • No, the University does not make any money off of the convenienve fee.

How can I avoid paying the convenience?

  • You can avoid paying the convenience fee by choosing to pay by check, e-check, ATM/debit card, cash, or money order.

What happens if my payment is late?

  • You may be dis-enrolled from all of your classes if the full payment is not receieved prior to the payment deadline, unless you have a fee deferment on your student account. Only on-time payment or timely withdrawal from all classes will exempt student from a debt to the University.
  • There is no grace period, even if a partial payment has been made.

What is a fee deferment?

  • A fee deferment prevents you from having all of your classes dropped (due to non-payment) on a payment deadline date.
  • There are many types of fee deferments but the most common ones are Financial Aid, Third Party, and the SallieMae Tuition Pay Payment Plan.

What happens if my check bounces or credit card payment is rejected?

  • A $20 returned check/rejected credit card fee will be assessed to your account and you may be dis-enrolled from all of your classes unless you have a fee deferment. Only on-time payment or timely withdrawal from ll classes will exempt students from a debt to the University.

Are there classes that charge additional fees?

  • Yes, there are some classes that charge an additional course fee. The course fees can be found in the online class schedule and if you add the class you will see the charges in your Student Center.
  • Additionally, Extended Learning (EL) has a different fee/refund schedule. 

I received Financial Aid, but it did not cover all of my fees so I still haver a balance on my account. Will I be dropped from my classes?

  • If you have a fee deferment, you will not be dropped from your classes. However, if your remaining balance is not paid in full, a collection notice will be emailed to your CSUSM email address and late fees will be assessed. If paymant is not received, your account will eventually be sent to a collection agency and you will not be able to receive University services or be eligible to enroll in subsequent terms.
  • If your financial aid does not cover all your fees, you cannot pay the difference, you may be able to take advantage of signing up for a payment plan for the differences in fees. 



Are there any payment plans available?

  • CSUSM offers an interest-free payment plan.
  • The cost is $25 per ter, to sign up for this plan.
  • Log in to MyCSUSM to navigate to Payment Plan.

Back to Top



What are Emergency Loans?

  • Emergency Loans are to help student bridg the gap between their financial aid award and their financial aid disbursement. This is a revolving fund so it is important that the loan is paid back so we can continue to offer this benefit to students.

When are Emergency Loan Applications available each semester?

  • Emergency Loan Applications are available 2 weeks prior to the start of the term and due approxamitely five weeks into the semester. Emergency Loan Applications are processed online.

Emergency Loan Applications?

  • It may take 2-5 days for your application to be proccessed.

How much will it cost me to get an emergency loan?

  • There is a $2.00 processing fee which will be deducted (along with your emergency loan) when your Financial Aid is disbursed (if there is any amount left over emergency loan and you do not pay back the emergency loan by the due date, there will be a $40.00 late fee and you will not qualify for any future emergency loans.
    •  Emergency loan funds will be available to be distributed via eRefund (Direct Deposit). In order for this to take place, a student must have a e-Refund setup. The e-Refund will take 2 to 3 business days to process. You may sign up on your student center via MyCSUSM.
    • If your Emergency Loan Application is approved your Emergency Loan will be disbursed that evening via eRefund (direct deposit) or via a check. Emergency loan checks are available every Tuesday and Thursday of the week after 2:00 PM.
    • For Fall and Spring Terms, the emergency loan needs to be repaid by the 8th week of the term.
    • If a student is recieving Financial Aid,  Cal State San Marcos will deduct from your Financial Aid check(s), any amount needed to repay your Emergency Loan. This may occur on or before the Emergnecy Loan due date.
    • Yes, a parent can havr access when the student sets up a parent pin for them. 
    • Only if Student Financial Services has a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) release on file. The Student Financial Services FERPA release is valid until you graduate unless you revoke this release. Once you will fill out the FERPA Release Form, please bring it to the Cashier's Office with a photo ID and sign the form in the presence of a cashier so tht your identity can be verified.
    • Please note, each office all have their own FERPA release forms. If the student wishes to grant access to another party he/she will have to complete a FERPA Release Form for each department. For example if a student wishes their parent to talk to the FinancialAid Office and Student Financial Services, he/she will have to fill out a FERPA release form for each office. 
    • Student Financial Services communicates with students via their CSUSM email address. Please check it often for important information and updates.

How are my Emergency Loan funds given to me?

  • Direct deposit is the most secure and fastest way to receive your funds. please go to your online Student Center and fill in your banking information there.

When do Emergency Loans need to be repaid by?

  • Generally Emergency Loans are available 2 weeks before school starts and generally due the 10th week of the term.

Back to Top



What type of waivers do you have?

  • Employee and Dependant Waiver
  • California Veteran's Fee Waiver
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9-11)
  • Allen Patte Waiver
  • Presidential Waiver
  • Non-Resident Tuition Waiver
  • A Cal Vet Waiver is good for 1 Academic Year. Provide our office with a copy of your waiver when it is issued each Academic Year.
  • Any Third Party Contract recipient student will have to provide our office with a copy of their authorization each term.

If I have either a Cal Vet Waiver or a Third Party Contract, do I need to provide your office a copy of my waiver or contract each term?

Back to Top



When are refunds processed?

  • The refund process will begin 10 business days after the end of the add/drop period.
  • Refunds will be given in the form the payment was made:
    • If the original payment was made by cash or check, then the refund will be in the form of a check, unless the student has e-Refund.
    • If the original payment was made by credit card, then the refund will go back on the credit card.
  • Convenience fees are non-refundable.
  • Each student recieving a refund is charged a $5.00 precessing fee.
    • The Add/Drop period for both the Fall and Spring Terms are the first 2 weeks of the term.
    • The Add/Drop period for the Summer Term is the first week of the term.
  • If you dis-enroll prior to the first day of the term (not necessarily the same as the first day of class), you are entitled to a full refund. Only on-time payment or timely withdrawal from all classes will exempt students from a debt to the univeristy.
  • If you dis-enroll on the first day of the term or after, your refund will be prorated on a daily basis until 60% of the term, If you have not paid your fees you will owe a prorated debt to the University.
  • All refund are assessed a $5 administrative fee.
  • You are eligible for the difference in fees if the adjustment is done during the add/drop period.
  • There are 2 options:
    • e-Refund (direct deposit) - THis is the most secure and fastest way to receive your Financial Aid refund but you must be signed up for it in order to recieve your refund by this mode. Once you have signed up, it will take 2-3 business days to process. 
    • Check - If you have not signed up for e-Refund, then you will receive a check, which will be mailed out to the mailing address on file. Please make sure your address is correct by reviewing it in your student center on MyCSUSM. 

When is the Add/Drop Period?

  • The Add/Drop Periods are:
    • Fall and Spring - The first two weeks of the term.
    • Summer - The first week of the term.

What if I dis-enroll?

If I change my student status from full-time (over 6.1 units) to part-time (6.0 units or less), am I eligible for a refund?

  • After the Add/Drop periodm you will not recieve a refund for the difference in fees from full-time to part-time.

If I am receiving Financial Aid and my Financial Aid pays more than my fees, how do I receive my refund?

Back to Top



Can my parents have online access to pay my fees?

  • Yes, you may grant access for your parents.

Can my parenst call Student Financial Services and ask questions regarding my student account, especially since my parents pays the fees for my education?

  • No, your parents will not be given ant information unless you provide our office with written consent.

How does Student Financial Services communicate with students?

  • Please check your CSUSM e-mail for important information.

Back to Top



Student Assistant Pay Warrants are available on the 15th of each month at each department where the student works.

Back to Top



Is the Student Financial Services Orientation Video available to watch online?

Back to Top



An Item Code is a unique identifier to transaction in the CASHNet Cashiering System. It can be assigned by the department or by SOD upon submission of the form. It determines to where in PeopleSoft Student Financials or PeopleSoft Finance the transaction will get posted.

An Item Type is a 12 digit numeric code established or setup in Student Financials to identify transactions that show up on Student Accounts. It is generally mapped to a chart field string for posting in the finance general ledger. Item Type Request Form.

Back to Top