- Student Health and Counseling Services
- Hours of Service & Contact
- Message to Parents
- About SHCS
- General Information
- Medical Services
- Eligibility of Services
- Counseling Staff
- Sports Psychology
- Client Rights
- Group Support
- Pre-Doctoral Internship
- Internship Application
- Health Education
- Emergency/ Resources
- Family PACT
- Student Health 101
- Programs & Events
- Alcohol Education Requirement
Date: Wednesday, January 15th - January, 16th, 2014
Location: Markstein 201
Time: 8 AM - 5 PM
FREE Registration includes breakfast and lunch.
Register Online! Registration Deadline is Friday, January 10th, 2014 @ 5 pm
Student Health and Counseling Services is offering this FREE two-day training for peer leaders (and aspiring peer leaders. The training is funded by a state-wide CSU grant to promote mental health (CalMHSA).
Our aim is to offer training in two broad areas:
- First, we want to give a set of trainings in self-care/resiliency-building. These will include identifying personal strengths, building compassion for self and others, recognizing signs of one’s own distress, acquiring skills to build mindfulness and affect regulation. We will emphasize how good self-care and growth are an essential part of effectively helping others.
- The second set of trainings will focus on helping skills. Modules will include understanding the role of the helper and developing healthy boundaries and role limits, using campus resources/making good referrals, interventions skills and assertiveness, crisis recognition and the use of mental health resources.
- Building Compassion in Self & Others
- Making Healthy Choices
- Helping Skills Basics
- Substance Use/Abuse
- Healthy Relationships
- Crisis Training nd Recognizing Distress
- Mindfulness Skills: Learning to Cope
The training will emphasize skill-building through exercises and modeled role-plays. It is hoped that a personal relationship will be formed between all the trainees and counseling center staff that will better ensure that students use SHCS as a resource for referral or consultation.