department menu

MMR Requirement

MMR Requirement for New Students

For all NEW CSUSM students, California State University of higher education system has mandated that new students born after January 1, 1957 must demonstrate proof of full immunization to measles and rubella. 

The MMR Requirement applies to ALL CSUSM First Year, Transfer or Readmitted CSUSM students.
Students have one semester to comply or they will not be permitted to register for a second semester. Registration holds are placed if proof of immunization has not been submitted to SHCS prior to priority registration date. Any one of the following options will be accepted to fulfill this requirement:

STEP 1: Get Written Proof of Immunity
You must be able to provide medical documentation signed by a physician or nurse that you either had the diseases or the immunization for Measles and Rubella. You must have had the immunization: 
1) after January 1, 1968, or
2) after your first birthday.

Documentation can include a physician's verification of  immunization records or a copy of a laboratory blood test proving you are immune to measles and rubella.

In order to avoid an Immunization Hold or to clear an existing one, view or download our Certificate of Immunization Form including more detailed information.

STEP 2: Provide Proof of Immunity to Student Health & Counseling Services
You may either submit proof that you have been immunized against measles and rubella with TWO (2) doses of MMR to Student Health & Counseling Services in the following ways:

By Mail:
Student Health and Counseling Services
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92069-0001

By Fax:
(760) 750-3181

In Person:
Bring proof to the Front Desk at Student Health and Counseling Services

If you mail your proof, be sure to include your: Name and Student ID, your date of birth, a return address and a telephone number.

STEP 3: If you don't have proof of immunity to MMR...
Make an appointment to receive the MMR vaccination. Or you can make an appointment for an MMR titer blood test to check the immunity levels for measles and rubella. There is a fee for both the vaccine and the titer. Please call to check for prices.

Anyone under the age of 18 will need to bring in our signed parental minor consent form before immunization can be given at SHCS.

If you have further questions regarding immunization requirement verification, please see Immunization Requirement FAQ's  or the CDC MMR Vaccine Information Statement.

(Please be aware that you may also need to submit proof of Hepatitis B immunization if you are a first time enrolled student 18 years of age or younger)