- Student Health and Counseling Services
- Hours of Service & Contact
- Message to Parents
- About SHCS
- General Information
- Medical Services
- Women's Health
- Men's Health
- Nurse Clinic
- HIV Testing
- Health Education
- Emergency/ Resources
- Family PACT
- Programs & Events
- Alcohol Education Requirement
Women's health services are available to all CSUSM female students. Our physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, health educator and support staff are trained in the provision of gynecological care including routine gynecological examinations and concerns, screening and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, information and education on sexuality, birth control methods, and menopause.
Most of the concerns regarding women's health are done by appointment. To schedule an appointment call (760) 750-4915.
Information for Your First Pap Exam:
If you have not had a pap exam or are interested in starting a birth control method and have not yet had a pap exam, you must attend a GYN orientation prior to the examination. At the GYN orientation, information regarding the pap exam, STDs and birth control are discussed.
Scheduling a Pap or Annual:
To schedule your annual exam, please check your menstrual calendar and allow up to two weeks to schedule.
Preparing for your Exam:
48 hours prior to your exam please DO NOT douche, have sexual intercourse or use any vaginal medications, creams, jellies, foams, suppositories or tampons. Please do not sit in a jacuzzi or bath tub, showers are okay. Any of these activities can lead to an infection or inaccurate pap tests.
If you are currently taking birth control pills, an emergency pack of pills can be prescribed if needed before your Annual Pap exam is scheduled.
The Following Women's Health
Gynecological examination may include:
|* Breast examination
* General health screening
* Pelvic examinations
* Pap Smear (lab fee charged)
* STD screening (lab fee charged)
|* Vaginal infections
* Bladder/urinary problems
* Menstrual irregularities/cramps
* Menopause/peri-menopause care and concerns
* Breast problems
* STD symptoms
* Birth control counseling
* Abnormal pap smears with referral if needed
* HPV Gardasil Vaccination
* HPV Gardasil Vaccine Patient Information (PDF file)
|Birth Control Methods:|
|* Birth control pills (PDF File)
* Depo-Provera injections (PDF File)
* Diaphragm fitting
* Ortho-EVRA patch (PDF File). Currently not available here.
* Nuva-Ring (PDF File)
|* Free urine pregnancy test
* Blood pregnancy test by provider order (lab fee charged)
* Emergency contraception (Morning after pill)
|* Concerns, questions and counseling
* Safer sex
* Sexual assault