At least one week prior to attending your scheduled orientation you are expected to
complete your pre-orientation advising. Pre-orientation advising consists of three
videos and quizzes that follow. All three videos take about ten minutes to watch,
however you can pause and follow along in your personal MYCSUSM account.
- If you no longer plan on attending Cal State San Marcos, please notify the Office
of Admissions AND cancel your orientation by e-mailing BOTH email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
by June 15th.
- If you have been admitted to CSUSM and have not yet attended a new student orientation, please DO NOT schedule an academic advising appointment until AFTER you have attended
orientation. You will receive support for schedule adjustments at orientation.
- Cal State San Marcos will be pre-enrolling you in one or some of your required classes
for your major to assist you in a timely graduation. You will see these classes appear
at least 1 week before your scheduled orientation program. You will be able to make
adjustments to this schedule and add additional classes at orientation. Any adjustments
to your major need to be made prior to June 15 for this pre-enrollment process. If
you change your major after you made a reservation for orientation you will need to contact Orientation
to verify your new major is still present that day. Note that some CSUSM majors are
impacted and students cannot change into them after admissions (Ex: Nursing- see Nursing FAQs).
- If you miss your scheduled orientation your classes will be dropped and your next
opportunity to register for classes will be August 28.
- While watching the pre-orientation advising videos, you are encouraged to navigate
your Academic Requirements Report (ARR), Degree Planner and Schedule Assistant within
MYCSUSM to build your shopping cart with class options. All videos, quizzes and preparing
of your shopping cart of classes should be completed 1 week prior to attending your
The Pre-Orientation Advising course is housed in Cougar Courses. Cougar Courses is
the campus learning management system. Not all instructors use Cougar Courses to provide
course information. Some use it to provide resources, others use it for resources
and assignments, and others use it for fully online courses. For more information
on Cougar Courses, please review the following resources:
Cougar Courses Introduction Video Student Guides
If you have questions, please contact Orientation and New Student Programs at (760)
750-4930, or visit our website at ONSP Home.