- SLL Home
- Multicultural Programs & Cross-Cultural Center
- Off-Campus Housing
- Fraternity & Sorority Life
- University Hazing Education Team
- Peer Mentoring Program
- Prospective Mentees
- Upcoming Events
- Student Organizations
- Programming Council
- Campus Links
- SLL Staff Directory
- Co-Curricular Funding
Apply to be a Peer Mentor for 2015-2016
Student Life & Leadership is seeking a diverse pool of dedicated Peer Mentors for the incoming first-year students. This volunteer opportunity provides support and aims to increase the retention rate of students from historically underrepresented and underserved populations. We encourage you to take this opportunity to serve and help them to succeed at CSUSM. This is a year-long commitment. Previous mentors in the program are encouraged to apply and take on a larger role in the program.
As a Peer Mentor you will be able to:
- Understand and articulate how the Peer Mentoring Program ties into the University mission and values.
- Understand retention/persistence practices at CSUSM and the role mentors play in increasing rates.
- Understand the unique needs of traditionally underserved and historically underrepresented groups at CSUSM.
- Understand how to build an effective mentoring relationship.
- Understand and articulate the benefits of campus resources available to new CSUSM students.
Benefits of serving as a Peer Mentor include:
- Learning about campus resources.
- Building a network of CSUSM students and staff.
- Becoming a part of the SLL community.
- Interacting with and building relationships with students from different backgrounds.
- Impacting the life of a new student during their transition to CSUSM.
Applications are due by 11:59PM on Sunday, April 26, 2015. Interviews will be conducted on Tuesday, April 28, Wednesday, April 29, and Thursday, April 30, 2015.