Apply to be a Peer Mentor in Fall 2013
Student Life & Leadership is seeking a diverse pool of dedicated Peer Mentors for the incoming Class of 2013. This volunteer opportunity provides support and aims to increase the retention rate of students from historically underrepresented and underserved populations. We encourage you to take this opportunity to serve and help them to succeed at CSUSM.
As a Peer Mentor you will be able to:
- Understand and articulate how the Peer Mentoring Program ties into the University mission and values.
- Understand retention/persistence practices at CSUSM and the role mentors play in increasing rates.
- Understand the unique needs of traditionally underserved and historically underrepresented groups at CSUSM.
- Understand how to build an effective mentoring relationship.
- Understand and articulate the benefits of campus resources available to new CSUSM students.
Benefits of serving as a Peer Mentor include:
- Learning about campus resources.
- Building a network of CSUSM students and staff.
- Becoming a part of the SLL community.
- Interacting with and building relationships with students from different backgrounds.
- Impacting the life of a new student during their transition to CSUSM.
Applications to be a mentor for 2013-2014 are now closed. Please consider applying next year when we reopen again in Spring 2014.