1) Am I allowed to create a social media account for my department or organization?
Yes. We welcome departments, colleges and divisions to create their own social media accounts, as long as you let us know about which accounts exist by completing this form.
2) How do I create a Facebook page, and are there any special procedures I should know about?
When creating a Facebook page, it's important to make sure that you are creating a true Facebook Page and not a Facebook Profile. While Pages and Profiles look identical to visitors, behind the scenes, they are created and monitored differently by Facebook.
Short rule of thumb: Pages are for organizations, departments, companies, etc., whereas Profiles are for individual people. Orgs that create personal Profiles, even by accident, may be deleted by Facebook. Problem is, the Facebook home page doesn't make this distinction obvious, nor do they provide a prominent link for Page creation. For your convenience, we've provided it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
Once on the page linked above, choose "Company, Organization or Institution," then select the category "Education" from the menu. Finally, give your page a "company name" that contains CSUSM (eg: "CSUSM Student Life and Leadership," "CSUSM Department of Psychology," etc).
3) Now that I've created my page, are there any rules or guidelines I should follow?
Yes, you are obligated to follow the Social Media Guidelines in all your work as respresenting the University on social media. We also ask all campus accounts to like or follow the official CSUSM accounts listed on the Social page.
4) How do I make my Facebook page and its content more effective?
See Social Media Tips, above
5) I am a student running a recognized student organization's social media account. Can I be added to the directory too?
Right now we are working on a Student Org Social Media Directory that will be housed with Student Life and Leadership. We will send out a communication when this is available.
6) What if I need additional assistance?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, we are happy to assist!
Please feel free to contact Katie Chappell, web and social media specialist in the Office of Communications with any questions.