All students majoring in sociology complete a series of required core courses that build proficiency in each of the learning objectives listed above.
The required courses include:
- a basic introduction to sociology (SOC 101, or its equivalent);
- an introduction to statistics (SOC 201);
- a survey of the social correlates of inequality (SOC 311, or SOC 313, or SOC 315);
- a foundational survey of sociological theory (SOC 320);
- two courses in sociological research methods, one focusing on quantitative techniques (SOC 360), and one focusing on qualitative methods (SOC 361);
- one senior-level capstone experience (either SOC 480 or SOC 495)