department menu

Multiple Subject FAQs

Do we have any choice in deciding on start dates for clinical practice?
Clinical practice generally starts with the university.  Sometimes special arrangements are made with Clinical Practice Director for a different start or stop date.

When and how should we expect to be notified of our clinical practice assignments?
A university supervisor will contact students within the first 2 weeks of the semester with placement information.

Is it possible to skip clinical practice a semester and do it the following semester?
A letter needs to be submitted to the Clinical Practice Director explaining that you wish to postpone. Clinical practice must be completed within two years of that date or the program must be re-done. Candidates are responsible to contact in writing the Clinical Practice Office at the beginning of the semester they plan to return.

Is it possible to request a specific placement?
A geographic area may be requested, but not a specific school site or cooperating teacher. All placements are arranged by the Clinical Practice Director. Candidates are not to arrange their own placement. We have a special arrangement with districts.

What if we don’t pass the CBEST, CSET or RICA, will we be able to do clinical practice?
Without the CSET and CBEST, you will not be able to do clinical practice II. You may do clinical practice without the RICA, but you will not be awarded a credential until you pass the RICA.

Do we have any choice in what supervisor that we will get?
The Clinical Practice Director arranges supervisors by geographic area. Candidates are placed in groups in these schools. The Clinical Practice Director then assigns the supervisors.

Will the cohorts meet during clinical practice?
Generally, they do not because candidates are dispersed throughout North County in their clinical practice placement.

Will I need a supervisor if I teach under contract?
Clinical Practice under contract is a special circumstance. To do clinical practice under contract, a teacher candidate must be under contract with a district.  Paperwork from Education Services Center must be completed and returned and approved. The teacher candidate must be enrolled in EDMS 571 and/or EDMS 572 at the time of the supervision. Teacher candidates may do only one clinical practice under contract.

Is it possible to split clinical practice between two semesters?
In the full-time program clinical practice is split between two semesters. Part-time candidates may do both experiences in one semester or they may split between two semesters. This is arranged through contacting the Clinical Practice Director.

May I do clinical practice in the summer?
Only special circumstances allow for summer clinical practice. Arrangements need to be made well in advance with the Clinical Practice Director as to why this is required.

Does a short-term substitute position qualify as one of the clinical practice experiences?
Most likely, no. Long-term sub positions might be considered if all the necessary clinical practice under contract paperwork has been completed and has been submitted to Education Services Center and approved by the Associate Dean.

What if the clinical practice assignment isn’t a good fit?
A Teacher Candidate should first work with the supervisor to rectify the situation. If the situation is not solved, contact the Clinical Practice Director.

Is it a hard and fast rule that you may not do clinical practice at your own child’s school?
Unfortunately yes. There is a great risk of conflict of interest, and exposure to another site is often in the Teacher Candidate's best interest.

Do we pay tuition for clinical practice?
Anytime you receive credit from the university, you must be registered and pay tuition. Clinical Practice I (EDMS 571) is 7 units and Clinical Practice II (EDMS 572) is 7 units.

May we teach without a TB test or fingerprint clearance?
No, the state of California regulations requires anyone in the classroom to have taken a TB test, and have cleared fingerprints.