CSUSM Learning Assistant Program
The LA program supports active learning in math and science courses and provides math and science majors with a structured introduction to teaching. The CSUSM LA program is modeled after the LA program at the University of Colorado.
Learning Assistant Program goals:
- Recruit and prepare talented science and math majors for careers in teaching
- Engage science faculty in the recruitment and preparation of future teachers
- Improve the quality of science education for all undergraduates
- Transform departmental cultures by demonstrating the value of research-based teaching for ourselves and for our students
Want more information?
Ready to Apply?
Please check back soon for a link to the Fall 2015 student application.
Learning Assistant Supported Courses
- CHEM 150, 250
- MATH 125, 160, 162
- PHYS 201, 202, 203, 205, 206, 301
- CHEM 115
- MATH 100, 130, 140
- PHYS 100, 200
- ZOOL 200
CSUSM Mathematics and Science Teacher Initiative
The CSUSM LA program is part of CSUSM's Math and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI). One goal of this initiative is to find talented science and math majors who are interested in high school teaching as a result of their LA experience. You can learn more about the system wide effort to recruit science and mathematics teachers by visiting the CSU MSTI webpage.
CSUSM Mathematics and Science Teachers (CMST) Scholars Program
Already planning to teach math or science? Apply for scholarships.