- UARSC Home
- About Us
- Our Staff
- Valuable Campus Partnerships
- Office of Sponsored Projects
- Cougar Shops
- Human Resources & Payroll Services
- Licensing & Trademarks
- Employment Opportunities
- Board of Directors
- Reporting Transparency
- Commonly Needed Information
- Recently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
Computer Lease/Purchase Procedures
Quick link to the Computer Service Agreement
Computer Lease Procedures – CSUSM Computer Refresh Program
The procedures covered in this section are to be used by UARSC programs that will lease computers and computer services through the CSUSM Computer Refresh Program with Instructional and Information Technology Services (IITS). For programs that intend to purchase a computer, please refer to Section B of this document for further instructions.
The CSUSM Computer Refresh Program is designed for those projects that require access to the University network and for some reason are not able to purchase computer equipment. It is a program with annual lease and maintenance payments for the computer equipment and service package. The annual payments will be billed to the project automatically by IITS.
The annual payment which totals $1,000 per year for a PC desktop or $1,200 per year for a laptop or Mac computer includes hardware, all standard software, security, maintenance, and access to the Help Desk. Additionally, this fee guarantees that the computer system will never be more than three years old. At the end of three years, the computer is returned to IITS. For grants with project periods that are less than 3 years, prior approval from IITS is required. For grants with project periods that are greater than 3 years, at the end of the third year, prior approval is required to continue under this program for the additional year(s).
The refresh program also requires an additional minimum fee the first year of $530. This fee is a one-time charge to help fund the costs of networking within the campus. This fee may be higher depending on whether or not additional services are required. Below is the annual cost to your project:
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
Lease (hardware and software
|$1,000 or $1,200||$1,000 or $1,2000||$1,000 or $1,200|
Network printer and servers, backup systems, and LAN connection
Computer Lease Procedures:
The Account Manager or Principal Investigator of a UARSC grant, contract, or campus program account should initiate the process to lease computer hardware and software using the following procedures:
- Complete a UARSC Purchase Order (PO) form to encumber the amount of the annual fee for the Refresh Program for the 1st year of the lease cost. At the beginning of years 2 & 3, a new PO will need to be generated for each years annual lease cost.
- Forward the PO to UARSC. UARSC will check for available funding.
- UARSC then will assign a PO number to the form.
- When the approved PO is returned from UARSC, the Account Manager/Principal Investigator is responsible for contacting IITS - Telecom & Network Ops to complete the CSUSM Computer Refresh Program Agreement (available from IITS). Please provide a copy of the Purchase Order to IITS.
Computer Purchase Procedures – UARSC Programs
The procedures covered in this section are to be used by UARSC programs that will be purchasing computers and computer service agreements. A computer purchased under this program is eligible for computer service and networking by IITS for three years only. For UARSC programs that intend to lease computers and computer services under the CSUSM Computer Refresh Program, please refer to Section A of this document for further instructions.
The Account Manager or Principal Investigator of a UARSC grant, contract, or campus program account should submit purchase requests for computers and computer maintenance agreements using the following procedures:
- Initiate the computer order by completing a UARSC Purchase Order (PO) form for the amount of the fee for the first year. If the computer is intended to be connected to the University network and have email, internet, and technical support, a UARSC Computer Service Agreement (CSA) form will need to be attached to the PO. The “Deliver To” instructions on the PO should list the UARSC administrative office (Carmel Street location) as the delivery address. NOTE: Only Dell and Apple computers are allowed to be purchased if they are intended to be connected to the campus network system. All purchases require IITS review and approval to qualify for support.
- Complete the Computer Service Agreement (CSA) by designating which type of service (Complement A or B) you are requesting for the computer. This form is used by computing to know which kinds of software to load on the computer and who to bill for the annual service costs. Review the CSA and PO with IITS and obtain appropriate approving signatures on both forms.
- If you do not wish any services for the computer and simply intend to use it as a stand-alone system, you will still need to complete the CSA and initial the “Support Declined” section. You should also designate the “Deliver To” location as the room # where the computer will reside.
- Forward the PO and CSA to UARSC. UARSC will check for available funding.
- UARSC will then assign a PO number and CSA number to the forms. (The computer PO numbers will begin with the letter “F”, while the maintenance agreement numbers will begin with the letter “M”).
- UARSC will then return a copy of the forms to the Account Manager/Principal Investigator who will be responsible for contacting the vendor and ordering the computer.
- Once the computer is delivered to the UARSC admin office, the computer will be tagged with a UARSC property control ID #. If the computer ordered requested campus networking and maintenance support, UARSC will contact IITS - Telecom & Network Ops who will pick up the computer and install the necessary software. UARSC will attach a copy of the PO and CSA to the shipping box. (Note: If the computer is a stand-alone system and support services are declined, the computer will be delivered directly to the user location. The user will then be contacted by UARSC to set up a time for tagging).
- Once the software is installed, IITS - Telecom & Network Ops then will deliver the computer to the location designated on the CSA. IITS - Telecom & Network Ops then will prepare invoices to UARSC for the annual CSA costs.
- A copy of the completed UARSC Service Agreement form will be sent by UARSC to: Isela Bañuelos, IITS – Telephone Services for billing annual CSA costs. It is recommended that the Account Manager or Principal Investigator establish a tickler as a reminder to generate a new PO for the subsequent years.