The Web Technology Team is happy to provide consultation or direct assistance to the CSUSM community for the following areas:
Web Project Management
- Planning and organizing a project and its resources.
- Identifying and managing the lifecycle to be used
- Applying it to the user-centered design process
- Formulating the project team
- Identifying multiple paths to reaching goals
- Example: Simple/Advanced options, online vs. physical location of services, support models (live/self-help)
- Understanding user behaviors, needs, and motivations through:
- Observation techniques
- Task analysis & other feedback methodologies
- Clearly identifying the consumer of the product and how they will use/benefit from the product.
- Example: Survey, consultation, trend research
Usability & Accessibility Evaluation
- Usability Evaluation:
- How well users can learn and use a product to achieve their goals.
- How satisfied users are with that process.
- Example: Real testing with identified users (personae) on different development points
- Accessibility Evaluation (Section 508):
- How a disabled individual accesses or benefits from a site, system or application.
Information Architecture & Content Strategy
- Information Architecture (IA):
- How information is organized, structured, and presented to users.
- Example: IA grids for criticality vs. frequency of content and label expectations
- Content Strategy:
- Writing and curating useful content by planning the creation, delivery and governance behind it.
- Example: Writing for the medium (application vs. web vs. print)
- User Interface Design:
- Anticipating what users might need to do and ensuring that the interface has elements that are easy to access, understand and use to facilitate those actions.
- Example: wireframe, flow diagrams, menus
- Interaction Design:
- Engaging interactive systems with well thought out behaviors.
- Example: Action feedback
- Visual Design:
- Aesthetically pleasing interface that is in line with brand goals.
- Example: Accent - not distract
Post Release Monitoring
- Collecting, reporting, and analyzing website/application data.
- Example: Google analytics, application logs, search indexes
- Consumer/Customer Feedback:
- Planning for adjustments after release and being responsive to changing needs.
- Example: feedback form on pages, satisfaction surveys, periodic usage and project review.