Frequently Asked Questions
New Students Entering Spring 2023
About the Office of Academic Advising
- How does advising work at CSUSM?
All students have an advisor based on their major. For our new Spring 2023 undergraduates, our services become available on December 12, 2022. Our Enrollment Tutorial goes live on December 5, 2022 and will provide more details on how to access our services, enrollment information and more!
- When can I meet with an academic advisor?For our new Spring 2023 undergraduates, our services become available on December 12, 2022. Our Enrollment Tutorial goes live on December 5, 2022 and will provide more details on how to access our services and more!
- Do I need to meet with an academic advisor before enrolling?No. We encorage you to enroll in classes on your enrollment date. Our Enrollment Tutorial will walk you through all necessary steps. However, we want you to know we are available to support you.
- Is Advising available in-person?
Yes, starting the week of December 12, 2022. See our Enrollment Tutorial, which goes live December 5, 2022 for a list of our available services.
- Is Advising available virtually?Yes, starting the week of December 12, 2022. See our Enrollment Tutorial, which goes live December 5, 2022 for a list of our available services.
- Is Advising available via phone?Yes, starting the week of December 12, 2022. See our Enrollment Tutorial, which goes live December 5, 2022 for a list of our available services.
- How do I reach academic advising?
Please remember, we become available to advise new students on December 12, 2022. Academic Advising services.
- Can I get help with a quick advising question?Yes! Starting the week of December 12, 2022, connect with us in person or at our Virtual Front Desk over Microsoft Teams. We will be happy to assist you!
- Why am I not seeing any advising appointments when I’m about to enroll in courses?We do not offer advising by appointment during the enrollment period. Instead, when the Spring 2023 New Student enrollment period starts on December 13, 2022, we will offer advising sessions with advisors on a drop-in basis. During this time, it is normal not to see any “offered appointments”. You won’t need to schedule an appointment the week of December 12, 2022. You can simply make use of our “drop-in” services during our posted drop-in hours for new students. Drop-in sessions will be offered in-person, virtually or via phone with no need for a scheduled appointment. Learn about new student drop-in details. There will be scheduled appointment opportunities available again in the new year.
Enrolling in Classes:
- What is the Degree Planner?
The Degree Planner is an important enrollment tool all students use to enroll in their classes each semester. It will provide you an idea of your remaining degree requirements and what to plan on taking each semester.
- How do I access my Degree Planner?
Please access our Enrollment Tutorial on December 5th to learn how to access your Degree Planner.
On-time Spring 2023 admissions applicants should have updated Degree Planner records by December 12, 2022.
- How do I enroll into my classes?
Please access our Enrollment Tutorial On December 5th to learn how to enroll in classes.
- Why can’t I enroll in my classes yet?Students are granted access to course enrollment each semester during an assigned enrollment period. Your assigned Enrollment Date is the date and time when you can begin enrolling. You can find your enrollment date in your online Student Center in MyCSUSM which becomes visible just prior to the week of December 12, 2022. There can be reasons why you have not been set up to enroll, such as particular holds you may have to deal with or often students may have forgotten to register for an orientation. You'll need to do this in order to be allowed to enroll. Sign up for New Student Orientation
- Will there be classes still available when I enroll?To give yourself the best chance of getting into your desired classes, we recommend enrolling on your assigned enrollment date, for most of our new Spring 2023 students, this will be on December 13, 2022. However, please note that enrollment is a process and you may need to continue working on your schedule for several weeks after you begin the process. Occasionally students will be fine-tuning their schedules even during the first week or two of classes. The class schedule is limited in terms of building the "perfect schedule" and making adjustments to your personal obligations when possible may help to fit in open courses.
- Will I have help enrolling in my classes?Yes, our online Enrollment Tutorial goes live on December 5, 2022, and will provide more details on how to enroll and our advising support services, including Enrollment Workshop opportunities which will start the week of December 12, 2022.
- What happens at an Enrollment Workshop?Enrollment Workshops cover the basics of the enrollment process and field your questions. Attendance is not required but could be helpful to you.
- Am I required to attend an Enrollment Workshop before I register?No, however by attending an Enrollment Workshop, we can provide you further direction and guidance with the enrollment process.
- What if I can’t make it to an Enrollment Workshop, is that okay?Yes. You will still have ample resources and support to accomplish the task of enrolling into your courses, including our online Enrollment Tutorial which goes live on December 5, 2022 and will provide more details on how to access our services.
- What classes are being offered?You can take a “sneak peek” at the Spring 2023 Class Schedule starting November 14, 2022. Starting December 12, 2022, you’ll have access to your Degree Planner in order to see the suggested courses for your upcoming semester.
- How many units can I take?You may enroll up to 16 units. Then, starting December 19, 2022, students will be able to increase to as many as 19 units. Although, 19 units is considered a very heavy course load.
- What are the requirements for my major?
Your Degree Planner will list all your requirements for your major and reflect correct catalog year requirements. You can also access our major worksheets to review your requirements.
Note: Catalog rights may determine which worksheet to follow and why your Degree Planner is a better tool to use as it will already display your correct catalog requirements. Remember that our on-time Spring 2023 admissions applicants should have updated Degree Planner records by December 12, 2022.
- Will there be classes still available when I enroll?To give yourself the best chance of getting into your desired classes, we recommend enrolling on your assigned enrollment date, for most of our new Spring 2023 students, this will be on December 13, 2022
- When do I enroll into my classes?Students are granted access to course enrollment each semester during the enrollment period. Your enrollment period begins December 13, 2022. Your Enrollment Date is the date and specific time when you can begin enrolling. You will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar near this date with more specifics. You will also eventually see your enrollment date/time in your Student Center via MyCSUSM.
- Do I enroll in courses at orientation?No. Enrollment takes place well in advance of your orientation. Our Enrollment Tutorial goes live on December 5, 2022 and will provide you with more details on how to enroll as well as our advising support services.
- Why can’t I enroll in my classes yet?Students are granted access to course enrollment each semester during an assigned enrollment period. Your assigned Enrollment Date is the date and time when you can begin enrolling. You can find your enrollment date in your online Student Center in MyCSUSM which becomes visible just prior to the week of December 12, 2022.
- What if I don’t enroll in any courses in the Spring 2023?As a new Spring 2023 student, you are required to enroll into a minimum of one baccalaureate level course to maintain admission to the University. If you do not enroll into any courses, you will forfeit your admissions status and will not be able to enroll in a subsequent term. You will be required to reapply for a future admissions cycle should you wish to attend CSUSM in the future.
- Can I take all my classes online?While occasionally it may be possible, most of our courses will be offered in person. We advise students to build a schedule that works best for them. However, we offer this word of caution: it is not likely that an entire online class schedule can be built. Flexibility is key as it may not be possible to build the “perfect schedule”.
- Can I take all my classes in-person?More than likely, yes. However, you may encounter scenarios where the class(es) you need are offered only online. Flexibility is key as it may not be possible to build the “perfect schedule”.
- How long do I have to decide to drop or add a Spring 2023 course?Generally speaking, you should finalize your schedule no later than the end of the add/drop period (first two weeks of the semester). However, the best strategy is to have your schedule finalized prior to the start of the semester. For more specifics, please visit Enrollment Information and click on "Spring 2023".
- When are Business Status Applications due for new Spring 2023 students?The window to apply is December 5-9, 2022. Go to: Business Status where you’ll be able to access the application and more information.
- When will my transfer credits show up in my records?
Degree Planners for on time Spring 2023 applicants should accurately reflect your remaining degree requirements by December 12, 2022.
You can view your transfer credit on your transfer credit report in your Student Center.
- How can I confirm if CSUSM has received my transfer credit?
Log into MyCSUSM and check your Transfer Credit Report
- How can I check if my transfer credit was applied to my degree requirements?
Log into MyCSUSM and check your Academic Requirements Report (ARR). Instructions:
- How long will it take me to graduate?How long it takes you to graduate is dependent on multiple factors, including how many of your courses transfer in from other colleges, unit values of those courses, what requirements these courses meet, the remaining requirements you still need to meet at CSUSM and the number of units you complete and pass each semester at CSUSM. Students can view their remaining requirements and plan their time to graduation using their personalized Degree Planner a tool you will be using during your entire time at CSUSM.
- When does the spring 2023 semester begin?Monday, January 23, 2023.
- Does Advising have any Social Media accounts I can follow?Yes we do! Follow us on Instagram @csusmadvising and/or Facebook: Facebook CSUSM Advising.
- When is the Tuition Deadline?
The following FAQ’s can be found in the Enrollment Tutorial:
- Where do I find what classes I need to take?
- I’m a transfer student and my degree planner is suggesting a class that I’ve already taken. What should I do?
- What if classes on my Degree Planner are full?
- How do I waitlist a class?
- How do I know if I’m enrolled or waitlisted in classes?
- What important dates do I need to be aware of?
- How do I know what the class format/mode of instruction means?
- I'm a transfer student. How do I know what units transferred in?
- I’m a transfer student. I am getting a prerequisite error when I try to enroll.
- Q: Why am I having trouble enrolling in CHEM 150/150L?
- Q: Why don't my Asynchronous classes show up on my weekly schedule?