Steps to Applying for Financial Aid
- Submit or renew a FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov between January 1 and March 2 for the following academic year to receive priority consideration for funds. In order to meet the March 2nd deadline, you may report estimated tax information if you have not yet filed your tax return. Be aware that in order to apply for any type of financial aid, all males between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register with the Selective Service. CSUSM's Title IV Code is 030113.
- To be considered for a new Cal Grant, complete and mail a GPA Verification Form to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2. Forms are available in college Financial Aid Offices or at local high schools.
- Approximately 3 to 4 weeks after electronically submitting your FAFSA, you will receive an email from the Federal Processor, indicating that your FAFSA has been made available to CSUSM. You may also view your processed Student Aid Report (SAR) on www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Submit all requested documents to CSUSM Financial Aid and Scholarship Office by May 1 in order to receive priority consideration for funds.
- Read everything carefully and respond to requests promptly.
- We’re here to help. Attend one of the several seminars offered by CSUSM for assistance with the completion of the FAFSA form, or contact our Financial Aid and Scholarships Office for assistance.
- Don’t wait until admission is granted to California State University San Marcos to complete the FAFSA. As soon as the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office has been notified of your admission, if your financial aid information is available an award letter can be sent.