Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions organized by the services we provide.
- Where is the ASC located?
The ASC is located in the Extended Learning Building (ELB) on the 2nd Floor, North Side (Room 286). Please refer to the virtual map.
- Does the ASC help answer advising questions?
For support with enrollment, selecting the right courses, and all other advising questions visit the academic advising website.
- Which services are offered in-person?
Our tutoring services will be available in-person Monday through Friday at the ASC. Check the tutoring schedule page for a full list of the courses we support as well as our tutor’s schedules.
- Which services are offered online?
- Virtual tutoring is available via NetTutor, a third-party service vendor that provides free, online tutoring for all CSUSM enrolled students. NetTutor support is ideal for students looking to get support during evening and weekend hours. Please see our NetTutor page for a full list of courses supported and their respective schedules.
- Academic Workshops will remain virtual and will be hosted via Zoom.
- SI sessions will take place in-person and online this semester. Please visit the SI schedule for more information.
- Is there a space where I can study and/or take an online class at the ASC?
Yes, both the ASC and STEM North have designated some study space for students who wish to study in our spaces. Both ASC and STEM North are located on the 2nd floor of the Extended Learning Building.
- How can I prepare for my ASC visit?
Please wear your face mask while receiving support, keep the noise level to a minimum, and come prepared with your study materials and questions!
- Why should I attend tutoring?
The ASC is committed to providing a welcoming, supportive, and non-judgmental environment that will help build on your understanding of the subject course material. By attending tutoring, you can improve your academic achievement, learn more, and earn higher grades.
- On days where tutoring for my class is only offered in-person, is it still possible to meet online during those same hours?
- How do I meet with a tutor? Do I need an appointment?
- Are there tutoring services offered anywhere else or for other courses?
There are other tutoring services on campus for a variety of courses. Please click here for an overview of what other services are available to you.
Net Tutor FAQs
- What courses are supported?
For the most up-to-date list of the courses supported by Net Tutor, visit our Net Tutor page.
- Which tutoring support is better, NetTutor or in-person tutoring?
Both our in-person tutoring and virtual tutoring through NetTutor are great options for meeting your academic needs. One service may be more accessible than the other depending on your specific needs. For example, if you work during our ASC business hours and cannot make it to in-person tutoring, NetTutor may be the best option for you as you can either chat live with a tutor or drop off a question and receive a response within 24-48 hours.
- Is Net Tutor available 24/7?
Although tutoring support through NetTutor is available most evening and weekend hours, tutor availability does vary by course. See our NT schedule page for the most up-to-date schedule.
- How much does NetTutor cost?
Net Tutor is a free service for all currently enrolled CSUSM students. You will need your school account to create an account and access NetTutor.
- What is the knowledge and skill level of the tutors?
Tutors are required to have obtained a four-year degree from an accredited University and must have obtained a minimum 3.0 GPA in the subject matter for which they tutor.
- How are the NetTutor tutors trained?
All new tutors are required to complete extensive training before being able to work along with a student. They must participate in a minimum of 10 ours of in-house training that comprises knowledge in Integrated Cognitive-Contextualized Learning (ICCL) theory (Kephart, 2012), as well as best practices in tutoring, and is aligned with the Association for Tutoring Profession (ATP) and the College and Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) certification requirements.
- What happens in a tutoring session?
You will start by creating a NetTutor account if you haven’t already created one. Once on the CSUSM NetTutor landing page, you will select the subject for which you would like to get tutoring support. When a tutor becomes available, you will automatically be brought into the tutorial room with a whiteboard. A cowbell will ring, and this lets you know the session has begun. At your request, the tutor can also start a video call instead of just using the chat feature.
- What if I don’t have time to chat with an online tutor?
- You can always use the drop-off question feature in NetTutor. Upon logging into your NetTutor account you will select the Q&A Center which allows you to ask a question offline.
- A tutor will then reply to your question within 24-48 hours. When an answer has been prepared, you will receive an email notifying you that your question is ready. After you review the answer, you can ask a follow-up question.