"Students want some traditional classroom–style features. Many want at least one synchronous
video class meeting early in the semester, along with one-on-one virtual "office hours"
with the instructor."
- from the 2016 ONLINE REPORT CARD TRACKING ONLINE EDUCATION IN THE UNITED STATES
To get started Zooming today go to: csusm.zoom.us. Please make sure you use your campus-purchased Zoom Pro account - don't use the free
ones the Zoom company provides - you get more with your pro account.
There are many tools for doing real-time communications and collaboration online these
days. Most of us have some experience with Facetime, Skype, Gotomeeting, WebEx, and
many others. We offer what we consider to be among the best web conferencing tools
To provide modern facilities and support for:
- Synchronous distance learning via web conferencing-integrated classroom systems.
- Active Learning Classroom systems.
- Synchronous online meetings and discussions.
- Recording of synchronous communications for later on-demand web delivery.
- Business communications via web conferencing.
- Web conferencing using Zoom (up to 50 particpants);
- Large meetings using Zoom (up to 100 participants);
- Webinars (one-to-many sessions using Zoom supporting thousands of connections);
- Support for other popular point-to-point web conferencing.
Some business uses for these systems and facilities
- Meetings with committees and teams at a distance - saves the time and cost of travel
to remote locations.
- Interviewing prospective employees outside the local area - opens up recruitment
worldwide at reduced cost.
- Use for professional development across a wider area, making to both more convenient
and more affordable.
Some academic uses for these systems and facilities
- Online office hours.
- Bringing remote subject-matter experts into the CSUSM classroom.
- Letting our students interact with people and places around the world.
- Connecting the campus to education partners in K-12 and other institutions.
- Allowing the teaching of courses across campuses that lack critical mass on a single
- Reaching overflow audiences for events larger than any rooms on campus.
- Archiving lectures, demonstrations, and training for on-demand delivery.
Some of the benefits
- Opens the world to students – virtual trips expose students to peoples and places
that might otherwise be inaccessible.
- Measurable decrease in carbon footprint versus travel.
- Introduces students to the similarities and differences among students both locally
- Addresses the needs of students with various learning styles..
- Develops communication and presentation skills of students – skills which are valuable
in the workplace.
- Forces students to take an active role in the educational process; this medium does
not allow for passive learning.
- Videoconferencing is a powerful motivational tool – students work harder and produce
quality work using this medium.
- Adds authenticity to educational investigations and connects students with professionals
in a variety of fields.
- Has great potential for virtual career investigation/exploration.