Why Do This
The glossary activity module allows participants to create and maintain a list of
definitions, like a dictionary. The definitions or FAQs are organized alphabetically so that students can view, comment
on and print. Glossaries can be graded in a manner similar to forums, and can be restricted
to groups. You can have more than one glossary in your course. Glossaries can include
images and you can add a Random Glossary Block to your course that will display one
entry at a time, rotating through in the manner you
Creating a Glossary activity
- Log onto Cougar Courses and go to the main page of your course.
- Click Turn editing on.
- Click on the Topic in which you would like the Glossary to appear.
- Click on Create Learning Activity, and then click the “Glossary” button.
- Name your glossary, and provide a description.
- The Entries menu item is on the right side of the screen. Under “Entries” choose the various
options. Do you want students to be able to comment on different entries? Or edit
them? If so, do you want to make it so entries need to be approved by you, before
they are posted?
- Next click on the Appearance menu on the right. There are seven different display
formats. Dictionary style (no authors listed), continuous, full with author, full
w/out author, encyclopedia, etc. Select one, click save and display to continue. You
can always change this setting once there are some entries and you can see the difference
between the formats.
- Ratings: Select the rating (grading) type and assign a total point value if
- Click the glossary link on the course page.
- Click “Add a new entry” to get started with glossary.
- Type the glossary word in Concept, and define it in “Definition”.
- If you’d like, you can enter keywords in the window below Definition. Keywords are
words that are associated with a given glossary term. These words will also highlight,
if you have that feature turned on for your class.
- Remember to click Save changes to finish.