OU Blog is an activity that allows everyone in a course to post to the same blog,
groups of people to
share a blog, or individuals to keep a personal blog (journal). Options include allowing comments,
grading, adding searchable tags (keywords) and adding attachments.
OU Blog vs. Forum – OU Blog is a better choice when posting is the main purpose, rather than
replies or a back and forth discussion. All blog posts appear on one page, so it is easier to view than
some forum types. Each post can be a new topic, and the newest posts are displayed at the top.
1. Once you have logged on to your course, choose the add an activity or resource
link in the appropriate topic.
2. Click OU Blog from the list of activities.
3. Click the Add button at the bottom of the list.
4. Blog name: Type the name as you want it to appear on your course page.
5. Intro: provide your instructions to the student here.
6. Allow comments:
7. Individual blogs:
8. Maximum visibility: Only visible to participants in this course is applicable to
9. Show intro when posting: if checked, displays your intro text in a block visible to users when creating their post (shown below).
Tags provide key words that can be used to search for posts using the tag. All tags used within a blog will be listed in a block, along with the number of times the tag has been used. Clicking on a tag in the block will display all posts using that tag.
10. Tags: By entering tags in this field, you are providing users pre-defined tags to choose from to apply to their post, or allow users to create their own tags. when entering a tag on a post. Tags should be comma separated.
11. Tag options: These options allow you to determine whether tags are used, restrict tag entry to only those that are pre.defined at activity level and/or require that at least one tag be entered in a post.
12. Contribution time period -User this section to set open and close dates for posting
13. Grade – If grading is desired, select Teacher Grades Students, then enter the maximum points you want to award for the assignment.
14. Common module settings – Can be used to set the blog to either separate or visible groups, similarly to other activities.
a. To post to groups separately, use the groups dropdown at the top of the blog to select the group, then click New blog post and create your post.
15. Once all sections are complete, select Save and return to course, or Save and display, to view the blog.
There are multiple ways to grade the blog.
1. Click the OU Blog on your course page.
2. Select Participation by user.
3. To add a grade, select the dropdown menu next to the user. When finished, click Save grades.
4. To see the posts when grading, click Details to the right of the user name.
5. After reading the posts, select User grade.
6. Select the grade from the dropdown and click Save changes.