Select the Screencast + Video option to record your desktop as video with slides extracted as well as an additional
video input from a camera with audio from a microphone. Once you finish, you can upload
the recording to a presentation on the connected Mediasite.
NOTE: Screencast + Video includes the mouse cursor in the final output.
This help includes the following sections:
- Getting started
- Setting up for recording
- Recording the presentation
- Pausing the recording
- Finishing and uploading the presentation
- Start the recording process by doing one of the following:
- Click Record/Record Now on the home page.
- Click Record in the navigation menu, which is available in the upper left of all pages.
- Click Record next to a recording on the Recording Management page.
- Click Make New Recording on the Recording Management page.
NOTE: When MDR is launched from My Mediasite, Record Now is one of the recording options available on the home page.
- The Recording Wizard launches. Follow the prompts to navigate through the wizard and
record your presentation. Click Cancel Recording at any time to exit the wizard.
NOTE: On any page in the wizard, you can click in the Presentation Name field to update the recording's title.
- On the Select Type page, select Screencast + Video.
Recording Wizard > Screencast + Video
Setting up for recording
- On the Set Up Hardware page, select the following and then click Next:
- Camera input.
- Camera size (the video resolution that will be used by the camera). Select the highest
quality the camera supports.
- Microphone input. Use the audio meter to verify the audio levels are suitable. Click
the "Open Sound Control Panel" button to adjust the microphone level and other options
related to sound input devices.
Recording Wizard > Set Up Hardware
NOTE: We highly recommend that you do not add or remove display devices or change the resolution
while the Desktop Recorder is recording. If you need to make such changes, do it BEFORE you reach the Capture Area stage.
- On the Capture Area page, select the recording's capture area using one of the methods below. Make sure
to select a region that is at least 320 x 240 pixels (width x height).
Once you have made your selection, click the check mark to accept your selection and move to the next page.
- Entire desktop: Click Desktop to capture the entire desktop. If you are using multiple monitors, select the desktop
you want to capture from the drop-down list.
- Select a window: Click Window and select the window you want to capture.
- Freeform rectangle: Click Region or click the arrow next to Region and select Capture Freeform Region from the drop-down list. Drag your mouse on the desktop to select the region you want
- Select a 4:3 rectangle: Click the arrow next to Region and select Capture 4:3 Region from the drop-down list. Drag your mouse on the desktop to select the region you want
to capture. MDR will automatically adjust the selected region so that it has a 4:3
- Select a 16:9 rectangle: Click the arrow next to Region and select Capture 16:9 Region from the drop-down list. Drag your mouse on the desktop to select the region you want
to capture. MDR will automatically adjust the selected region so that it has a 16:9
Recording Wizard > Capture Area Options
- On the Summary page, verify the settings are correct.
Recording Wizard > Summary
Recording the presentation
After setting up your presentation, click Record. MDR will begin a five-second countdown before recording begins. Click Stop at any time during the countdown to return to the Summary page. The selected capture region is highlighted with red corner indicators and the
MDR control panel is displayed as the countdown begins and throughout the recording
MDR Control Panel
WARNING: If the MDR control panel is in the capture area during your recording session, it
will appear in the final recording. To avoid this, if you are recording the entire
desktop, make sure to hide the MDR control panel. If you are just recording a certain
region of the desktop, simply make sure the MDR control panel is not within the capture
region's boundaries. If you do not want to display the control panel, clear the Show recording control panel check box.
Pausing the recording
To pause the recording, you have a few options:
- Click Ctrl+F8. The recording will pause and a page will appear with additional options
(discard recording, resume recording, or finish recording). This is the recommended method.
- In the MDR control panel, click the option (discard, pause, or finish) you want. When
you pause your recording, a page will appear with additional options.
- If your computer's notification area is visible, click the MDR pause button. The recording
will pause and a page will appear with additional options.
NOTE: Clicking discard will cause you to lose your recording. A confirmation message is
shown before the recording is discarded.
Finishing and uploading the presentation
- Click Finish to stop recording. Once the recording is finished, it can be uploaded to Mediasite.
- Automatic upload to target presentation: If you launched MDR from My Mediasite and the "upload while recording" feature is
enabled, the recording is automatically uploaded to the target presentation (the presentation
from which you started the recording process) on Mediasite. Once processing is complete,
the status of the presentation is updated.
- Automatic upload to new presentation: If you launched MDR from the desktop, have an active connection to My Mediasite, and
the "upload while recording" feature is enabled, Mediasite will create a new presentation
and the recording will be automatically uploaded to it. The presentation will be given
the same name as the recording.
- Upload offline recording: If you made an offline recording, once you are able to connect to Mediasite, go to
the Recording Management page and click Upload next to the recording.
- When the "uploading finished" notification is displayed, click Open Presentation to view the presentation in My Mediasite. Alternatively, click the globe icon on the
same row as an uploaded presentation to view it in My Mediasite.
View uploaded presentation in My Mediasite