Frequently asked questions:
- When will my application be reviewed? The applications are reviewed by the selection committee at the end of January. The
selection committee consists of representatives from each of the three participating
campuses: CSUSM, San Diego Miramar and MiraCosta Colleges, a current Bridges intern
and a representative for industry. The selection committee will be informing students
of their status by mid February.
- How will I be trained to perform stem cell research? Each selected student will participate in a Stem Cell Techniques Course held at Thermo
Fisher Scientific. This course will provide the theoretical and practical fundamentals
to initiate the internship experience. During the 12-month internship, the student
will be completely immersed in stem cell research.
- Where will I be placed for the 12-month internship? Each of the selected students will interview with interested labs (up to 5 labs).
There are 51 labs that conduct stem cell research, which have expressed interest in
hosting students in the program. These labs are located the University of California-San
Diego, the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, The Scripps Research Institute,
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, Thermo Fisher Scientific and other
biotechnology companies in the area.
- What is the stipend and how much of my tuition and fees are covered by this program? Students will be expected to work full-time as interns in their laboratories. They
will also be enrolled as full-time students in an internship course specifically for
Bridges interns. Students will receive $2,500 per month as a stipend and up to $7,000
to cover Tuition and Fees.
- How do I submit my application and recommendation letters? Submit the online application. For the recommendation letters, ask your references
to email a scanned version of the signed letter or mail their letters to Courtney
Dow at the address below. For more information, contact the representative from your
home institution. The personal statement, transcripts and CV can be emailed to Colleen
Lopez at email@example.com or mailed to the following address.
Mail or Drop-Off
Attn: CIRM Selection Committee
c/o Colleen A. Lopez
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096
If your question was not answered above, please contact the Program Coordinator, Colleen
Lopez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.