CSUSM Corporation is expanding catering operations to grant a first-right-of-refusal opportunity with Campus’ long standing dining provider Sodexo. Sodexo’s Executive Chef has expanded the existing catering menus and the new Catering Manager and Catering Supervisor are ready to meet the catering needs of our faculty, staff and students for their events.
Catering Request Process
Step 1: Complete the Catering Request Form and receive notification within 24-hours (exception: if a request is submitted on a Friday, you may not receive a confirmation until Monday)
Step 2: If "Approved" Fill out Catering Order in Catertrax (below). If "Denied" you may contact one of the other Approved Catering companies below.
Step 3: Enjoy your Event!
Step 4: Include your catering invoice (if approved) or email notification (if denied) with your procard reconciliation packet.
Catering Menus and Contact Information
Catering email - Catering@csusm.edu
We are pleased you are interested in learning more about CSUSM Dining. Recently, with the implementation of our first meal-program and the opening of our first all-you-care-to-eat dining facility, we have implemented a Right of First Refusal policy for Campus Dining. Below are answers to commonly asked questions about the new policy.
- Why go to a first-right-of-offer model?
Catering operations are a core component of an exclusive on-campus food and beverage program and essential to its overall viability. With the opening of the Campus Way Café and the addition of an executive chef, catering manager, and catering supervisor, catering revenues allow Sodexo to take advantage of economies of scale in food-buy and more broadly allocate labor costs to drive down the prices of both catering costs and meal plans for students. Based on data provided by Sodexo, the estimated impact on student meal plans is significant; without this revenue, meal plan prices would need to increase by approximately $1.50/day or $352/meal plan for the year. Other advantages include:
- The opportunity for greater collaboration and control over the quality of service provided
- Additional employment opportunities for CSUSM students
- Food safety management on campus
- Synergy between the catering, housing, and conference and event planning programs
- Shortened delivery time
- The ability to build a dependable and robust catering program that can fill a broader campus need including service for small hospitality events that may otherwise be cost prohibitive
- Ability to respond to on-site service needs related to the event
- Mitigation of risk from 3rd party providers entering campus
- The ability to scale Sodexo’s staff to support a broader range of concessions activities including service at athletic events
- The ability to scale with a growing campus
It is also worth noting that Sodexo’s catering revenues directly impact the CSUSM Corporation’s participation in profit-share, driving additional funds for reinvestment in the dining program. As a non-profit auxiliary organization serving CSUSM, 100% of the CSUSM Corporation’s profits are used for the benefit of CSUSM.
- Are There Exceptions?
Yes, there are exceptions to this policy. Notably, small events with catering orders under $250 are exempt. In addition, exemptions may be granted by the CSUSM Corporation on a case-by-case basis based on the interests and needs of the requestor. This policy does not extend to anyone’s ability to bring or buy lunch from an off-campus source. The intent is to make good faith efforts to drive incremental business to the on-campus dining program to keep the dollars on campus and promote programmatic growth. The Corporation will continue to contract with off-campus caterers to supplement the Sodexo offering and ensure our campus’ needs are met.
- When will does this new policy take effect?
Due to delays in the opening of the Campus Way Café, to the Right of First Refusal policy will go into effect October 15, 2022.
Catering contracts in place prior to October 15, 2022 will be honored.
- Why Sodexo?
Sodexo has been the exclusive on-campus food service concessionaire since 2012. At that time the CSUSM entered a 20-year exclusive contract that will expire in 2032. A key component of the 2012 agreement was an investment made by Sodexo of one million dollars to fund the design and construction of the USU retail dining facility. At the time, Sodexo was the only qualified respondent to a formal request for proposals. Over the past 10 years, has continued to demonstrate a strong commitment to partner with CSUSM by being responsive to campus needs despite enduring sustained financial deficits year-over-year for the past several years.
- Is CSUSM the only campus with a Right of First refusal for catering operations?
No, in fact, this is common practice at universities nationwide including in the CSU, where 14 other campuses have a Right of First Refusal for on-campus catering.
- Can I use my ProCard to pay for catering?Yes, you may use your ProCard for payment as long as the amount is less than your single purchase limit.
Approved Off-Campus Caterers
- RED TAIL CATERING
- BEHIND THE SCENES CATERING & EVENTS
- CALIFORNIA'S BEST CATERING & EVENTS
- COAST CATERING
- PANERA BREAD CATERINGPANERA BREAD CATERING
Phone: (949) 836-3618
See how Panera can cater your workday
See Panera's distributed catering for virtual meetings
- MR. TACOMR. TACO
Phone: (760) 410-1396
342 S Twin Oaks Valley Rd, #141
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Food Trucks