department menu

Campus Program FAQ's

  • I want to create a new project. What do I do?

     Complete the project agreement form found on the CSUSM Corporation website. Once completed, including the Project Director’s (PD) signature, submit the form to CSUSM Corporation. We will route the form for internal signatures and then forward to the Financial Systems Operations (FSO) department to set up the project in the system. The PD and other authorized signers will be copied on the submission to FSO.
  • What happens after I turn in a new project agreement?

    A new project number will be assigned and routed for CSUSM Corporation internal signatures. Once the project agreement has been fully executed, a copy will be forwarded to FSO to be set up in the system. The authorized signers will be cc’d and will receive the project number at that time.
  • Who manages my project?

    Each campus program has a Project Director (PD) with Delegation of Authority (DOA) who is responsible for the revenue and expense activity of the project. An administrative coordinator may also have DOA and responsibility for the project activity. Additional DOA's can be assigned at the discretion of the PD. All of the authorized signers with DOA are listed on the project agreement. The Business Operations Analyst reviews and monitors the projects in the SMURS business unit on a monthly basis.
  • How do I change delegations of authority on my project?

    Changes are made using a new Project Agreement form found on the CSUSM Corporation website; this is the same form used to set up a new project agreement.

    On Part 1 of the form, check “Renewal/Revision of Existing Project”

    Campus Program Setup or Update Form

    part six

    Complete the rest of the agreement. All sections of the project agreement must be filled in again. All of the authorized signers (aka DOA) will sign on Part 6 of the agreement. The existing authorized signers that will continue to have DOA will need to sign again.

    Forward the agreement to the Business Operations Analyst at  CSUSM Corporation. The rest of Part 6 will be completed by CSUSM Corporation and forwarded to the FSO team to be set up in the system. All of the authorized signers will be cc’d on the request to FSO along with a copy of the fully executed form.

  • Where do I send my documents?

    Invoices to be paid and direct pay forms are sent to the Accounts Payable (A/P) department in CRAVEN HALL, Suite 4600 or emailed to

    Purchase requisitions are keyed by the department. You can find an online tutorial for keying purchase requisitions on our website.

    Independent contractor agreements are keyed by the department.Here is the online tutorial for keying purchase requisitions. Complete the agreement before keying it as a requisition; you will need to attach it.

    Billing uploads and financial or expenditure transfer requests are emailed to auxiliary accounting.

    Deposits are taken by the department to Student Financial Services (SFS), cashier’s office.

    ProCard agreement forms can be emailed to

  • What is my chargeback number?

    The chargeback number for projects that are in the SMURS business unit start with 5, then the project number, then 01. Example: Project 85123, chargeback number = 58512301
  • How do I do a financial or expenditure transfer?

    Use the Expenditure Transfer Form found on the CSUSM Corporation website.

    You can transfer funds between CSUSM Corporation and FNDN, but not between CSUSM Corporation and CSUSM. If your stateside department needs to bill a CSUSM Corporation or FNDN project, or your project needs to invoice a stateside department, you will complete a billing upload. See question number 15 titled: I need to create an invoice for my project. How do I do this?

    The project and/or account that will incur the expense will be a debit (positive) amount; the project and/or account that will be credited will be a credit (negative (-)) amount. Use account 670801 for the project that is transferring OUT and 670804 for the project that is transferring IN. As an example: If project 86005 wants to transfer $100.00 to project 86024, the transfer request will look like this:

    fiscal services form

    Forward the completed form to for processing.

    Note: The completed expenditure transfer form needs to be sent to auxiliary accounting by the department that is incurring the expense with an approval by a DOA, or an approval email from the department and DOA can be included with the form.

  • Why are there revenues or expenses in the wrong Dept ID?

    The department ID is not hard-coded with the project. The dept ID is included in the chartfield* string at the time the revenue or expense transaction is submitted. If you believe your report is showing the incorrect dept ID, please complete and expenditure transfer form and forward it to *A chartfield string is defined as.. Account – Fund – Dept ID – Class (if applicable) – Project.
  • I have a deficit balance on my project. What do I do?

    Review all of the activity on the project and search for errors. See question number 17 titled: How do I check my balance or activity on my project?

    If the revenues and expenses are correct, you may have an encumbrance (open PO) that is making your project balance negative. If the PO balance is not going to be used, you can have the PO closed and this will release the funds back to your project. Or, does the PD have another project from which funds can be transferred? Perhaps your project is expecting revenue and it hasn’t been received? If your project still has a deficit balance and you are not expecting revenue to clear it in the near future, please contact CSUSM Corporation

  • How do I get a CSUSM Corporation ProCard?

    Complete the ProCard Agreement Form.

    The ProCard Agreement Form can be found on the CSUSM Corporation website forms page.

    Agreement forms

    Once the form is complete, it can be emailed to The ProCard administrator will request a card from the bank on the project requestor’s behalf. Once the card has been received by the ProCard administrator, the requestor will be contacted.

  • Are there restrictions for expenses?

    The responsibility for expenses is with the PD who may delegate oversight to the department’s admin coordinator or budget analyst. Provided there are enough funds in the project to cover the expense(s) and the guidelines of CSUSM Corporation’s Public Relations Funds Policy, Travel Policy, Hospitality Policy, and Employment Guidelines are followed, the expense(s) is allowable. You can find these guidelines on the CSUSM Corporation policies website.
  • I want to purchase software. What do I need to do?

    Under the Accessible Technology Initiative (ATI) you may need to complete a separate form. For more information please see the  procurement website.
  • I want to purchase something over my Procard limit or have issues with my purchase.

    Contact the ProCard administrator
  • Do I need a hospitality form?

    CSUSM Corporation does not require a hospitality form. However, all hospitality expenses must follow the guidelines of CSUSM Corporation’s Public Relations Funds Policy and the Hospitality Policy, both found on the CSUSM Corporation website.

    Although a form is not required, there may be supporting documents needed when submitting the hospitality expense for payment.

  • I received revenue (checks/cash) for my project. What do I do?

    Complete a deposit form found on the CSUSM Corporation website. Once the form has been completed, deliver the checks/cash and the deposit form to the cashier’s office in CRAVEN HALL 3800.
  • I need to create an invoice for my project. How do I do this?

    Complete a  billing upload form found on the CSUSM Corporation website. Complete the sections circled below. If you are not sure of the customer ID, auxiliary accounting can assist. The Description and LINE DESCR are brief summaries of the reason for the invoice. Complete the information where you want the invoice (revenue) to be posted. Once the form is completed, email it to auxiliary accounting.

    billing upload form

  • How do I check my balance or activity on my project?

    CFS Data Warehouse is used to view and run reports for financial transactions. CFS user guides are available on our website. If you are not sure which business unit your project is in, you can select SMFND and SMURS simultaneously

    CFS guides

    Include the fiscal year, the period, and the project number.

    After you apply the filters it is suggested that you set up your report like this:

    setup report

    It is important to select the project fdescr as your first column to be sure that all activity on the project is captured. Running it by Dept ID only, may not show all project activity because a different Dept ID may have been used.

  • How do I know if my project is in the SMURS or SMFND business unit?

    There is more than one way to get this information. The fund number associated with the project will indicate SMURS or SMFND by the first 2 digits – 96xxx are SMFND fund numbers and 92xxx are SMURS fund numbers. Check your project agreement or look on Data Warehouse. Or, you can select Bus Unit as a column choice when you run a data warehouse report. See question number 16 titled: How do I check my balance or activity on my project?
  • I’m not showing the same balance as the CSUSM Corporation office. Why not?

    The Financial Summary As of Period tab in Data Warehouse provide the true project balance as the funds continue to roll forward year after year. If you are using the Financial Summary Between Periods tab, you’ll want to select period 0 as the beginning period for the accurate balance. Be sure to select Project Fdescr as your Column 1 heading after you have applied the filters.

    Question 19: Financial Summary

  • My project activity is not coming up in Data Warehouse. Why not?

    Have you selected the correct business unit? Your project may reside in SMFND instead of SMURS and vice versa.

    Has any activity happened on your project yet? A report will not populate until revenue or expense activity has occurred.

    Is it a brand new project? It may not have been set up in the system yet.

  • What is the difference between a Guest Lecturer Form & Independent Contractor Agreement?

    Guest Lecturer:

    This form is used for non-CSU lecturers who are recognized as a subject matter expert.  Typically, the lecturer is on campus for one day with a one-time negotiated lecture fee.  This form can be utilized to pay travel expenses in lieu of or in addition to a lecture fee. A Payee Data Record Form 204 is required for any guest lecturer receiving "fee for services". The guest lecturer form does not require a purchase order and is used in lieu of an invoice for payment. Full time CSU Faculty or Staff are not eligible for guest lecturer payments during the normal academic year. Additional employment policies of the CSU must be followed when considering paying CSU employees as guest lecturers. If the individual is a nonresident alien (NRA) please contact CSUSM Corporation HR at 760-750-4700. The guest lecturer form can be found on the CSUSM Corporation website.

    Independent Contractor:

    The Independent Contractor (IC) performs as a consultant or specialist in an area of expertise and typically provides services over a period of time. The IC agreement is required to be completed and must be submitted to CSUSM Corporation. A purchase order number will be provided once the agreement is received by CSUSM Corporation. Subsequent invoices, which must include the PO number, will be submitted by the IC and approved by the department before submission to A/P for payment. Certain CSU employees may not be engaged as an independent contractor.

    If the IC is an NRA, there will be additional steps and forms to complete.  For more information, contact CSUSM Corporation HR at 760-750-4700 or

  • I want to pay a CSUSM or CSU staff or faculty member. What do I do?

    Faculty and staff members must be paid in accordance to the Overload and Additional Employment Guidelines. You can find the guidelines on the CSUSM Corporation website.

    For faculty and exempt employees an Employment Authorization Form (EAF) request must be submitted.  Please see the WuFoo form on the CSUSM Corporation website. Once this is received by CSUSM Corporation a faculty/exempt form will be completed for you.

    For non-exempt staff members you may submit a standard EAF form found on the CSUSM Corporation website. For more information about hiring a CSU faculty or staff member you may contact CSUSM Corporation HR at or 760-750-4700.

  • I want to hire a retired CSUSM employee. Can I do that?

    A retired CSU employee can be hired by CSUSM Corporation with no restrictions, particularly with ‘wait’ time after retirement. The retired employee and the hiring department must complete the necessary new hire paperwork. The newly hired employee will need to participate in a new hire orientation with CSUSM Corporation. For more information contact CSUSM Corporation HR at or 750-760-4700.
  • What are the travel guidelines?

  • Can I purchase Gift Cards?

    Gift Cards must be purchased in accordance with the established CSUSM Corporation Gift Card Procedures. Please visit this page to read the full procedures and submit a request through our wufoo form.
  • Who do I contact?