SATURDAY, MARCH 10, 2018
Super STEM Saturday 2017 Flickr Album
Super STEM Saturday 2016 Flickr Album
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
FREE EVENT | No registration required | Rain or shine
at California State University San Marcos
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos
Map of Campus
Explore interactive demonstrations and hands-on science activities at Super STEM Saturday,
including rocket launches, build-a-robot stations, model displays, scientist chats
and a obstacle course. The event is free and open to the public. Complimentary parking available in Lots E, F, and H.
Super STEM Saturday is designed to expose and engage kids of all ages and their families
to the diverse and exciting fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics,
known as the STEM disciplines. The brainchild of The Classical Academies and held
in partnership with CSUSM, Super STEM Saturday has grown into a popular North County
event that draws over 5,000 science enthusiasts each year to the university campus.
Here is a sneak peek at some of the fun...
- View the surface of the sun through special filtered solar telescopes.
- Connect to wildlife and learn about conservation with the San Diego Zoo.
- Build and launch your own rocket.
- Sit and read a book to a Love On A Leash dog.
- Plant native seeds in CSUSM's Ethnobotany Garden.
- Program a Lego Mindstorm robot.
- Watch the "Better than Magic Show" with Chemistry demonstrations at 10:30AM, 1PM or
3PM in ARTS 240.
- Discover the power of static electricity in the hair-raising fun of "Electrify Me!"
- Watch the "The Amazing World of Physics Show" at 11:30AM or 2PM in ARTS 240.
- Visit with the Society of Physics Students and watch rocket launches every 20 minutes.
- Learn how to use a map and compass and watch how trained search & rescue dogs work.
- Rubik's Cube Competition: See Rubik's athletes complete the cube… some in under a
minute! (This event is only open to registered teams)
- You Be the Chemist! Challenge: The Chemical Educational Foundation will be hosting
their regional competition in the USU Ballroom at noon. Come watch local students
compete for a spot at the National Competition!
- Meet local scientists and engineers and hear about their fascinating research.
- Get stoked about the science of surfing.
- Learn about autonomous vehicles.
- How awesome is it to be a nerd? (Hint: Pretty awesome!)
- How art and engineering are used in architecture.
- What are flying cars?!
- Purchase lunch or snacks from local food trucks at the event, including Mr. Taco,
Yo Yo Bento, or Red Tail Catering.
- Cool off with some shaved ice from Kona Ice.
- Grab a coffee and a snack from the Sodexo Cart or the Jazzman's Cafe in the University
- Guests can also bring their own lunch to campus.
- Are you a Girl Scout looking to complete requirements for your STEM-related Try-It,
Badge or Journey? Visit the information booth on Kellogg Plaza for suggested activities
to do at the festival that fulfill badge requirements. Complete your requirements
and earn a fun patch for the day! Boy Scouts can fullfill requirements for the Chemistry
Merit Badge and Super Science (Bear Elective Adventure) badge. No registration required!
Show up with your troop/pack or on your own to complete the activities. You can
find a listing here.
CSUSM and the Classical Academies will be filming and photographing during the event.
Materials gathered may appear in future promotions and marketing materials for CSUSM
and the Classical Academies. If you do not wish to be photographed or recorded, please
inform our crew/staff and avoid the areas in front of our cameras. By remaining in
the immediate vicinity, you are giving CSUSM and the Classical Academies consent to
videotape or photograph you.
Director of Student Services & Planning
California State University San Marcos
Super STEM Saturday kicks off the week of exploration for the San Diego Festival of
Science and Engineering. Join the adventure as we explore science wonders for all
ages. Learn more about events happening throughout the county...
Super STEM Saturday is generously sponsored by
Inspiring and leading STEM education from kindergarten through graduate school and
beyond, The Classical Academies and Cal State San Marcos work in partnership to offer
this popular festival free of charge to the community each year.