department menu


Frequently Asked Questions Pertaining to Disability Support Services

How does a student become eligible to receive accommodations through Disability Support Services (DSS)?

  • To become eligible, a student must have a documented disability.
  • Student must make contact with Disability Support Services (DSS) and provide documentation of the disability. Paperwork to help with the documentation process is available through DSS.

What are reasonable accommodations?

  • A reasonable accommodation is a support service provided to students with documented disabilities to help them perform according to their intellectual abilities.
  • Some common academic accommodations include: extended time on tests, use of note takers, access to specially adapted equipment and access to sign language interpreters.

What are not considered reasonable accommodations?

  • Fundamentally alter the academic requirements for the degree or course of study.
  • Eliminates a course requirement that is reasonably necessary to the course of study.
  • Alter consistently applied academic policies which are based on academic standards.
  • Guarantee success or bear responsibility for making students succeed in courses.
  • Are impractical or not feasible (e.g. unlimited time to complete exams).

What services are not provided through DSS? This is a brief, but not exhaustive, list of services not provided through DSS.

  • Providing testing & assessments to diagnosis a disability or prove eligibility for accommodations.
  • Providing access or admissions to programs or activities to students who are not otherwise qualified.
  • Reducing or altering essential requirements of a course or program of study.
  • Providing personal aids or personal care attendants.
  • Student academic success is a guarantee.
  • Tutoring services beyond what already exists to all students.
  • Providing transportation assistance.
  • Providing educational supplies, aside from access to course materials in alternate formats.
  • Exemptions to the Student Conduct Code which applies to every student.

In high school I had an IEP is this something I can expect to receive in college?

  • The IEP you received in K-12 was provided to be compliant with the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and does not apply within postsecondary education.
  • In postsecondary education, we need to be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act which does not require curriculum modifications (resulting in a fundamental change), specialized programs or IEPs.

I’m enrolled with DSS, what next?

  • Make contact with DSS at the beginning of each semester to pick up Special Testing Accommodation Packets and other required paperwork to initiate reasonable accommodations.
  • Provide faculty members with your accommodation forms at the beginning of each semester.
  • Meet the timelines and procedural requirements established by the DSS office for scheduling examinations and requesting appropriate accommodations.
  • Notify the DSS office if you need to change your accommodations, auxiliary aids, or services.
  • Contact DSS to discuss your needs and the need for any additional accommodations