department menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to send CSUSM my GRE scores before I am admitted to the program?
Official score report of the General GRE or equivalent is required for a formal admittance.  Applicants who have obtained a Master's Degree are not required to take the GRE. *Please note: GRE scores may be waived by experience as demonstrated on a resume and verified by faculty review.

Where do I have my official General GRE scores sent?
Please send an unopened official copy of your GRE score to the mailing address:

Attn: Extended Learning, MCS
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001

Do all of the required documents have to be mailed to your office?
No, not all of the required documents have to be mailed to our office.
Personal Statements and Letters of Recommendation may be emailed to Extended Learning at

What does my personal statement need to address?
The personal statement questions help determine if work experience and pre-requisites satisfy program requirements. Based on experience the applicant may be able to waive, or need to take, Cyber Preparation Modules.

If I graduated from CSUSM, do I still need to send in official transcripts?
If you took classes at or graduated from CSUSM, we will be able to pull up your CSUSM grades on our system once your Program Application is received.
If you attended any colleges or universities prior to attending CSUSM, transcript copies may be in our system but please email your advisor to verify this before omitting your official transcript requirement.
However, if you graduated from CSUSM and later attended courses at other colleges or universities, you need to send in official transcripts from these institutions.

How do I request Financial Aid?
Go to the "Student Services" link. Scroll down to the "Financial Aid and Scholarships" section. Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships office website at or call 760.750.4850 with any questions.

Why may I not apply to the program via CSU Mentor?
CSU Mentor will be accessible to applicants that have been formally admitted into the program. More information will be given to you after you have been formally admitted.