department menu

Advising and Student Services

Send your questions to Student Services at or call 760.750.4020.
Academic questions will be forwarded to the assigned advisor.

Kellogg Library


Phone: 760-750-4340

The Library is committed to providing a learning environment which supports the information needs of the CSUSM community. Our services, collections, teaching and community outreach honor and reflect diverse perspectives, learning styles and ways of knowing. With the help of innovative technologies, our staff aggressively select, acquire, provide access and deliver resources and instruction that support the lifelong learning needs of our students and community. The Library upholds and practices the principles of the CSUSM Mission Statement and the Library Bill of Rights, endorsed by the American Library Association.

Disabled Student Services


Phone: 760-750-4905

The availability of support services for students with disabilities is dependent upon the needs of students, as well as available funding and resources. It is entirely up to the student whether or not to access services. However, no student shall receive support services without proper verification of their disabling condition. DSS will determine which support services a student is eligible for based on all available documentation and information on the student’s disability. In addition, it is important for students to understand that the accommodations authorized by Disabled Student Services apply only to CSU, San Marcos.

DSS offers a variety of support services to students with documented disabilities. Students are encouraged to contact Disabled Student Services regarding the availability of specially adapted equipment, campus orientations, supplemental academic advising, functional assessment, priority registration, testing accommodations, registration assistance and tutoring referral.

For more detailed information on support services, please see our Student Handbook.

Financial Aid and Scholarships


Phone: 760-750-4850

All persons seeking Financial Aid must submit a FAFSA, Renewal FAFSA or FAFSA on the Web, between January 1 and March 2 for the following academic year to receive priority consideration for funds. Applications are accepted after March 2; however, funding options may be limited. Applications are available in the CSUSM Financial Aid and Scholarship Office and other colleges or local high schools.  Be aware that in order to apply for any type of financial aid, all males between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register with the selective service. CSUSM's Title IV School Code is 030113.

Career and Assessment Center


Phone: 760-750-4900

Welcome to the Career Center!  As a matriculated campus student, the Career Center offers a variety of services to help you throughout your educational journey and as you transition into the world of work. Whether you need help with choosing a major/career, writing a resume, finding a job/internship and/or negotiating your salary, we are here to help.

Veterans Services


Phone: 760-750-4808

Information and services for veterans are available in Craven Hall 5115. Assistance is provided to military veterans and their dependents in obtaining VA educational benefits for which they are eligible. Services available include certification and assistance with procedures. The Veterans Affairs Specialist serves as a liaison between veteran students and the Department of Veterans Affairs, assisting students with the appropriate forms for educational benefits, as well as information about their benefits or educational experience at Cal State San Marcos.

Leave of Absence or Withdrawal

Undergraduate Degree Students

An “out-one term” for an undergraduate student is a regular semester (either spring or fall) of any calendar year in which s/he does not enroll in any course or drops from all courses by the end of the add/drop period, and which immediately follows a semester in which s/he was enrolled in at least one course beyond the add/drop period. A student maintains catalog rights during the out-one term. After exhausting the “out-one” allowance, if a student does not enroll and attend the subsequent term, the student must reapply for admission and may forfeit catalog rights, unless the student is granted an Educational Leave of Absence.  There is no automatic “out-one” allowance for graduate students, see Graduate Degree Students. Absence due to an approved educational leave shall not be considered an interruption in attendance if the absence does not exceed two years (two semesters for graduate students).

Educational Leave of Absence

An undergraduate student who has exhausted his or her “out-one term” in the prior semester and who needs to remain un-enrolled for an additional semester may, under some circumstances and subject to certain restrictions, apply for an educational leave of absence. An undergraduate leave of absence may be granted for the following documented reasons:
1. attendance at another accredited institution of higher learning, or
2. the health condition of the student prohibits attendance, or
3. military duty/deployment.

Requests for leave of absence must be documented and submitted to Extended Learning so that your Academic Advisor can submit the form to Cougar Central prior to the first day of classes for the semester requested.

Leave of Absence Form - Undergraduate Students  (coming soon)
Email to request the form. Once completed, the form must be submitted to Extended Learning.  An Extended Learning Academic Advisor will deliver the completed Leave of Absence Form to Cougar Central.

Withdrawal Form

Graduate Degree Students

Conditionally Classified or Classified graduate students must be continuously enrolled unless an authorized Request for Graduate Student Leave of Absence has been filed with your Academic Advisor in Extended Learning so that that they may submit the request to Enrollment Services Information Center.

Master's students must complete their degree within five years.

Graduate degree students may take an authorized leave of absence for up to two (2) semesters.  Leaves of absence can be authorized for conditionally classified or classified graduate students providing the student is: (1) in good academic standing (as defined by the program's requirements), (2) has completed at least six credit hours of CSUSM coursework toward the graduate degree in the program, and (3) has filed a completed Request for Graduate Student Leave of Absence form (please contact your Academic Advisor to obtain this form). The completed form, including signatures of the student's faculty advisor (where applicable) and the graduate program coordinator, must be submitted to Extended Learning so that your Academic Advisor may submit the form to the Office of Registration and Records before the end of the add/drop period of the term for which the leave has been requested. A leave of absence will not be authorized if the student has completed all requirements except the culminating experience. Unauthorized leaves and failures to return from an authorized leave of absence will result in the student being dropped from the graduate program. In such cases, the student must reapply to the university and the graduate program to be considered for reinstatement.

Graduate Leave of Absence Request