- Two letters of recommendation
- One-page personal statement describing your reasons for pursuing this program
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- One official transcript from each academic institution attended
- An undergraduate GPA in all completed science and math courses of at least 2.75 or a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 35 semester units of science and math
- GPA of 2.5 on last degree completed or last 60 semester units
No GRE required to apply
Admission to the program requires an undergraduate degree with a major in a bioscience, chemistry or related area. Alternatively, if you have a BA/BS degree in a related field or equivalent work/certification experiences, you may be considered for conditional admission.
While a minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required, admissions will consider pertinent background, prerequisite courses and opportunity for successful completion.
Generally, you should have courses or experience in:
- Molecular cell biology or molecular/cellular biotechnology (i.e. BIOL 351 or BIOT 355/356)
- Microbiology or biology of microorganisms (i.e. BIOL 160 or BIOL 367)
- Statistics (i.e. BIOL 215 or MATH 242)
- Chemistry and biochemistry (i.e. CHEM 150 and CHEM 341/351)
If you have not completed an upper-division biochemistry course you may be required to take CHEM 341 or 351.