California State University San Marcos will conduct a campus-wide lockdown drill on
Tuesday October 29th beginning at 1:30 pm.
- October 29 at 1:30 p.m.
- UPD will send out messaging via the emergency notification system (ENS) to start the
- The drill is expected to last 10 minutes.
- Plan to practice going to your identified lockdown room, lock the doors, turn off lights, close blinds, and silence your cell phones and wait for the all clear.
- All classrooms on campus are considered lockdown rooms
- “All Clear” message sent to end the drill
Drill Start Message: This is a Drill! This is a campus-wide lockdown drill, lockdown immediately! This
is a Drill!
All Clear Message: The Drill has ended! All Clear, please resume normal operations. The Drill has ended!
Cal State San Marcos is thoroughly committed to the safety and well-being of all members
of our campus community. Just like the University Police Department, you have a role
as well, we want you to have a plan and be ready to react immediately. Our campus
has adopted the national RUN, HIDE, FIGHT model. Our hope is that you will never have
a need to use these steps, but thinking about what to do is the first step to keeping
yourself and others safe.
Based on RUN, HIDE, FIGHT, the campus lockdown drill will focus on the HIDE portion.
In the event of an Active Shooter or Gunman on campus, University Police will activate
a campus wide lockdown until the situation is secure. A "lockdown" is a temporary
technique utilized to limit human exposure to an apparent life-threatening, hostile
or hazardous situation or threat.
It is important to identify Lockdown Rooms in advance, move to the lockdown room,
turn off lights, close blinds, silence cell phones until University Police informs
you it is now safe to exit your location. Students in residence halls should remain
in their rooms with the door locked until the all clear is issued.
In general, how you respond to an active shooter will be dictated by the specific
circumstances of the encounter. If you are near an area where a shooting or shooter
is identified, take whatever actions necessary to protect yourself. Situational Awareness
is key, if the shooter is in your area get away from it. Use any means necessary to
get out or away from the incident.
If you're receiving an emergency alert but are not hearing gun fire, screams or seeing
an assailant, lockdown immediately.
In the event of an Active Shooter or Gunman on campus:
- Immediately cease all activity (i.e. teaching, group work, meetings etc...)
- Lockdown – Move quickly to your identified lockdown room or a room that is easily
lockable. If safe to do so stay in that location until University Police informs
you that it is safe to exit or you receive an all clear notification.
- Lock all entrances to your location. Card access doors will be locked during a lockdown
but can be opened from the inside.
- Close blinds
- Turn off the lights.
- Silence cell phones.
- Stay low to the ground and hide until the situation has ended.
- Be as quiet as possible.
- Give the impression the room is empty.
- DO NOT respond to anyone at the door until an "all clear" message is received or if
you are certain it is safe to do so (i.e. if police are at the door).
- Be aware of alternate exits if it becomes necessary to flee.
- Work in groups, develop a plan, just in case the shooter is able to make it into your
- If you are near an area where a shooting or shooter is identified, take whatever actions
necessary to protect yourself. Situational Awareness if key, if the shooter is in
your area you must get away from it. Use any means necessary to get out or away from
the incident. This is very important to remember in large open areas of the campus.
- Do not sound the fire alarm in the building unless there is a fire. People may be
placed in harm's way when they are attempting to evacuate the building. If a fire
alarm does go off during a lockdown, do not evacuate unless you smell smoke or see
fire in your area.
- If you are outside of a building when a lockdown is initiated , realize most buildings
on campus are on the card access system and will lock as soon as the emergency notification
is sent. Find a safe place to hide or move quickly to the exteriors of the campus
and hide until the all clear is given.
Emergency Notificaiton Sytem and how to update your account to recieve text messages