department menu

Credit/No Credit Grading

Spring and Summer 2020

The deadline to request a CR/NC grade for Spring and Summer 2020 has been extended to December 31, 2020 (earlier deadlines are provided below for graduating students). On this page you will find your options, how to request a change, as well as FAQs. Students are strongly encouraged to review the FAQ prior to requesting a grade of CR/NC.

Fall 2020

No adjustments to policy have been made for CR/NC grading in Fall 2020. The deadline for submitting a request has passed and has not been extended.

What is Credit/No Credit?

Grades of CR or NC are not included in your GPA calculation; however, you earn the units if a grade of CR is assigned.

For undergraduate courses:

  • A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C are equivalent to a CR grade; grades of C-, D+, D, D-, F are equivalent to an NC grade.

For graduate courses:

  • A, A-, B+, B, B- are equivalent to a CR grade; grades of C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F are equivalent to an NC grade.

Your Options

A change to CR/NC grading for Spring or Summer 2020 is available for all undergraduate courses, with some exceptions for upper division major courses and lower division Nursing and Speech Language Pathology courses. These options may be available for some graduate courses, as well. For the list of upper division undergraduate major courses and graduate courses that will allow CR grades this semester, visit the Academic Programs site.


How to request it

The CR/NC Request Form will be available through December 31, 2020 for all approved courses in Spring or Summer 2020. 

CR/NC Request Form

  • Undergraduate students: CR/NC may be requested before or after grades post for all non-major/minor coursework, lower division major courses (except NURS and SLP), and upper division major coursework approved by the department (see list of approved courses, by major)
  • Graduate students: you are strongly encouraged to meet with the Graduate Coordinator for your program prior to submitting a request to ensure that it is the best choice for your situation

Non-passing grades will change to NC

  • The Registrar’s Office will change all F grades to NC grades after grades post (Spring and Summer 2020)
  • Spring 2020 only: The Registrar’s Office will change D-, D, D+ grades assigned for major/minor or GE area A1, A2, A3, B4 requirements to NC after grades post, since a grade higher than D+ is required for these degree requirements (check your Academics Requirements Report to see which requirements your current classes fulfill) D grades will not be changed automatically for Summer 2020.
  • If available, you may request that the original grade be restored; check the box on the CR/NC Request form to indicate that it is intended to revert a grade of CR/NC to a letter grade.
  • C- grades in major/minor courses will not be changed automatically to NC; if you wish to receive a grade of NC rather than C-, you may request it using the CR/NC Request Form.

Deadlines for Graduating Students

  • Students graduating in Spring 2020 must submit their requests no later than May 29, 2020
  • Students graduating in Summer 2020 must submit their requests no later than August 14, 2020
  • Students graduating in Fall 2020 must submit their requests no later than December 31, 2020