Spring and Summer 2020
The deadline to request a CR/NC grade for Spring and Summer 2020 has been extended
to December 31, 2020 (earlier deadlines are provided below for graduating students). On this page you
will find your options, how to request a change, as well as FAQs. Students are strongly encouraged to review the FAQ prior to requesting a grade of CR/NC.
No adjustments to policy have been made for CR/NC grading in Fall 2020. The deadline
for submitting a request has passed and has not been extended.
What is Credit/No Credit?
Grades of CR or NC are not included in your GPA calculation; however, you earn the
units if a grade of CR is assigned.
For undergraduate courses:
- A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C are equivalent to a CR grade; grades of C-, D+, D, D-, F are
equivalent to an NC grade.
For graduate courses:
- A, A-, B+, B, B- are equivalent to a CR grade; grades of C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F are
equivalent to an NC grade.
A change to CR/NC grading for Spring or Summer 2020 is available for all undergraduate
courses, with some exceptions for upper division major courses and lower division
Nursing and Speech Language Pathology courses. These options may be available for
some graduate courses, as well. For the list of upper division undergraduate major
courses and graduate courses that will allow CR grades this semester, visit the Academic Programs site.
How to request it
The CR/NC Request Form will be available through December 31, 2020 for all approved courses in Spring or
CR/NC Request Form
- Undergraduate students: CR/NC may be requested before or after grades post for all non-major/minor coursework,
lower division major courses (except NURS and SLP), and upper division major coursework
approved by the department (see list of approved courses, by major)
- Graduate students: you are strongly encouraged to meet with the Graduate Coordinator for your program
prior to submitting a request to ensure that it is the best choice for your situation
Non-passing grades will change to NC
- The Registrar’s Office will change all F grades to NC grades after grades post (Spring
and Summer 2020)
- Spring 2020 only: The Registrar’s Office will change D-, D, D+ grades assigned for
major/minor or GE area A1, A2, A3, B4 requirements to NC after grades post, since a grade higher than D+ is required for
these degree requirements (check your Academics Requirements Report to see which requirements your current classes fulfill) D grades will not be changed automatically for Summer 2020.
- If available, you may request that the original grade be restored; check the box on
the CR/NC Request form to indicate that it is intended to revert a grade of CR/NC
to a letter grade.
- C- grades in major/minor courses will not be changed automatically to NC; if you wish
to receive a grade of NC rather than C-, you may request it using the CR/NC Request
Deadlines for Graduating Students
- Students graduating in Spring 2020 must submit their requests no later than May 29,
- Students graduating in Summer 2020 must submit their requests no later than August
- Students graduating in Fall 2020 must submit their requests no later than December