2022 Holiday Giving Challenge
5th Annual Holiday Giving Challenge
From Monday, November 14 through Wednesday, December 21, our FAS colleagues collaborated to contribute time and resources to worthy causes throughout our community. To see the amazing work that was done this year, please check out our 2022 Holiday Giving Challenge Report!
We continue to add giving opportunities each year! If you would like to feature a worthy cause on our list, please submit it to Amber Giacalone at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy Giving!
Foster an animal over the holidays:
- Bring home a pup for a few weeks of foster via Second Chance Dog Rescue
- Cats, kittens, or bunny fostering through Martin's Home in Escondido
- Open your home to dogs or cats through San Diego Humane Society
- Provide some time away from the shelter for a dog at The Barking Lot
LYFF is a 501(c)3 non-profit animal rescue group. LYFF mainly focuses on educating about and managing feral cat populations, fostering adoptable cats, and offering no/low-cost spaying and neutering of pets to north SD county residents. Our very own Amanda Umphrey has been volunteering with them for nearly 4 years! Amanda is happy to answer any questions!
Check out the LYFF volunteer opportunities.
Senior Animal Advocates
- Help socialize senior dogs onsite in Ramona
- Join the Frosted Fakers Hike on Sundays in Ramona area
- Foster a senior dog for two weeks on a Frosted Fling
- Donate items from the LCAL Wishlist
- Walk dogs in Oceanside from 11:30-1:30pm
- Help get dogs to and from important vet appointments
- Crochet, knit or quilt blankets for shelter animals
- Donations & Fundraising
OHR's Angel Tree
The Office of Human Resources has partnered with a local afterschool program to provide gifts during the holiday season to elementary students in need. Every child deserves a speck of joy during the holidays. The organization we have selected, offers free tuition to a safe and enriching after-school program for eligible families. Some of these families struggle with food, housing and/or financial insecurity. Let’s us be a child’s reason to smile this season.
Beginning November 29th, you can stop by the Office of Human Resources, Administrative 1200, and select an ornament. Each ornament will contain the profile of a child which includes their clothing size, shoe size and general likes – we do not require that each item on the list be obtained, and gifts should be valued at no more than $25. Wrapped gifts are due back to the Office of Human Resources no later than Thursday, December 15th at 2:00pm.
If you are not onsite to pick up a child’s ornament, please email email@example.com and we can provide a profile.
- Donate lunch goods that Brother Benno's uses during their weekly lunch distributions OR new children's pjs and stocking stuffers for their Children's Christmas giveaway
- assemble care packages to hand out as a random act of kindness
- Donate sick and/or vacation time to a CSUSM staff/faculty member who may be in need of a catastrophic leave donation
- Donate funds to help provide meals to families and children in San Diego
- Host an online Red Kettle drive
- Food & Clothing Drives
- Organize donation drives for items like: hygiene items (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc...), pillows, pillowcases, twin sheets, undergarments, socks, shoes, blankets and bottled water for distribution to homeless populations
- Help PATH (People Assisting the Homeless) reach their goal of providing fleece blankets for local homeless populations.
- Host a virtual or contactless drive through donation drive to provide coats, food, and blanket to North County families in need
- Knit homemade teddy bears for children affected by HIV/AIDS in developing countries
- Host a food drive or donate a $5 Hunger Bag at check-out during your next trip to Albertson's or Vons
SD County Food Bank
- Online shopping to donate via a SD Food Bank-hosted site
SD County Food Bank
- Donate food to elementary school children living in poverty
- Volunteer Work
- Pick up grocery donations from local stores, sort through donations, assist with donation distribution
- Find opportunities to sort children's books, arrange donations for military families, make no-sew fleece blanets, or help with a virtual Turkey Trot through this volunteer database
- Write letters or send postcards to adults and children with developmental disabilities
- Spread holiday cheer to children in hospital via Cards for Hospitalized Kids (CFHK)
- Drop off warm meals to local seniors in need
- Write letters or make holiday cards to send to service members serving overseas
- Adopt-a-day to ring the Salvation Army Bell and raise money for those in need
- Sort donations, help customers, and ring sales at the WRC thrift store
Write a Letter to an Elder
- Send homemade cards or letters of encouragement to senior community residents via Serving Seniors
UPD/EM/IRM Administartion Team
"When we give to others cheerfully, and accept our own blessings gratefully, everyone is blessed."
- Maya Angelou
- Shopped for, prepped & served dinner to the approximately 50 current residents at Haven House Homeless Shelter in Escondido (11/30 & 12/5)
- Shopped for, assembled, and delivered approximately 300 sack lunches to Interfaith Services for their food insecurity program. (100 sack lunches on 12/2, 12/8, and 12/14)
- Made approximately 40 hand-made holiday cards; half were sent to soldiers serving overseas and half were delivered to a local senior home to give to residents who may not have visitors on Christmas
- Sgt. Hernandez coordinated a "Toys for Tots" drive in the lobby of PSB from December 1 - 21