Financial Aid Application Timeline
- October | Apply for Financial Aid & Scholarships
FAFSA and CADA Applications Open - Complete the FAFSA® Application | Federal Student Aid or California Dream Act Application to be considered for financial aid for the following academic year. The earlier you apply, the sooner we can get your estimate aid award to you!
CSUSM Scholarship Opens - One application for the various scholarship opportunities administered by CSUSM.
- December | Aid Award Notifications
CSUSM students will be notified via email of their estimated financial aid award amount. Students should then log in to MyCSUSM to review their Financial Aid Shopping Sheet for a preview of what their potential annual cost may be.
If you have not received your award notification, please log into your MyCSUSM portal and review your ToDo items.
- January | Deadline for CSUSM Scholarships
- March 2 - May 30 | Register for Direct Deposit
Sign up for Direct Deposit in your MyCSUSM portal to make sure any refunds are sent to you quickly.
- July | Course Drop Protection Applied & Look for your 'Good to Go' email
Course Drop Protection - This hold protects your classes from being dropped in anticipation of your financial aid award covering your tuition and fees. Log-in to MyCSUSM to confirm your Course Drop Protection Hold has been placed on your account.
The Good to Go email totals your tuition, fees, and financial aid and tells you how much you can expect in a refund or what your balance will be after your financial aid applies.
- August | Awards Disbursed
Financial Aid Awards are Paid - Students will receive their aid the week before classes begin. Any remaining aid will be sent to the student via direct deposit (students must enroll in direct deposit, or a paper check will be mailed to them).
- You must meet all eligibility requirements for your aid to pay. Please log in to your MyCSUSM account and look for any "to do" items or holds.
- An email will be sent once your aid has been applied to the balance on your student account.
- September | Grant Census
Grant Census - Your grant aid may be reduced if you are no longer enrolled as a full-time student. For more info refer to the Enrollment & Recalculation of Aid page.