Your  Account:

Corporate Foundation Relation FAQs

  • What is the role of Corporate and Foundation Relations?
     CSUSM Corporate and Foundation Relations manages the institutional relationships between CSUSM and corporations and foundations. We assist in reviewing funding possibilities, contacting funders, helping develop proposals, and resolving procedural and policy questions. We can assist in determining whether a particular project will be administered as a gift or a sponsored project.
  • When should I contact the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations?
    We would like to hear from you regarding any proposal you are submitting to private foundations and corporations to support the process and ensure other CSUSM faculty and staff are not already applying or receiving funding. Additionally, if you have any questions about finding funding opportunities, the application process, stewardship, and other topics, please contact us. (Christine Andersen, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations,, x7310)
  • What if a letter from the president/provost is required when applying to a foundation?
    Our office will assist in preparing a letter to the foundation from the president or provost. A minimum two-week lead time is required to review and process a letter from the president or provost.
  • What is the difference between a “sponsored project” and a “gift”?
    Whether an award will be administered as a gift or sponsored project depends on the nature of the project and the terms and conditions of the award. If you would like more information, you may contact our office or the Office of Graduate Studies and Research (OGSR).
  • How long do foundations take to make funding decisions?

    The length of time from the submission of a full proposal to award varies by foundation. There are foundations that require a letter of inquiry to be submitted prior to an invitation for a full proposal.

    Most foundation decisions are made by a board that meets periodically; board meeting schedules vary considerably: bimonthly, quarterly, semiannually, and annually. Foundations therefore often need to receive materials well in advance of a board meeting, sometimes several months prior.

  • If the award letter from a foundation says I need to send in a report, what should I do?
    Foundations typically require periodic reports on the supported activity and a final report at the conclusion of the grant. The principal investigator is responsible for submitting all reports. It is imperative that these reports be prepared and sent in to the foundation. If a report is missing, a foundation may withhold subsequent payment on your project or sometimes on another project at the university.
  • What should I do if my grant is ending but I have funds that I have not used?
    A formal request to a foundation is needed for a no-cost extension on the grant to allow time to use the remaining funds. Do not wait to inquire with the foundation about this until the end of the grant term, and do not assume that the foundation will approve your request. If your request is approved, you must notify your sponsored projects officer to update the grant record with a new end-date.
  • My proposal was not funded. Can I contact the foundation for feedback?
    Contacting a foundation for feedback depends on the foundation. There may be some information on their website, should they have one, or on the application materials that state that they welcome questions from applicants, or that they generally do not accept questions of any kind. If you are unsure about a foundation’s policy on this, please contact us. We may be able to get in contact with the foundation on your behalf.