Summer in Argentina: Study Abroad in SLP
Join Dr. Darin Woolpert this summer to explore the field of Speech Language Pathology from a Latin American perspective. Visit local hospitals and pediatric clinics to discover similarities and differences in scope of service. Students will live with local Argentine families and enjoy meeting local students to gain a greater cultural awareness of life in the Andes.
- Walking Tour of University Congreso and surrounding area
- City tour of Mendoza, Argentina's well-known wine region
- Full day tour to the Andes
- Full day cooking class
- Visit to the Central Market and Calle Las Heras for souvenirs
- Scheduled time with local Argentine students throughout
- Community outreach opportunities with local hospital, special needs school, and/or pediatric clinic
May 21 - June 2, 2023
SLP - 597-1 - Study Abroad in Speech Language Pathology: (3 units)
Language of Instruction:
English & Spanish
- Must complete the SLP department application process and be approved by the program leader (Dr. Darin Woolpert, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing to departure
- Proof of current COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initial vaccination(s) plus at least one booster if eligible) is required to participate in any of CSUSM’s international travel programs. Due to the increased risk of contracting COVID while travelling, as well as the increased likelihood of having serious complications from COVID if you are not vaccinated, exemptions (religious or medical) are not currently accepted for our travel abroad programs; COVID vaccination is a required pre-requisite.
3 units, SLP 597: Study Abroad in Speech Language Pathology
Private room in Argentine homestay, offering daily breakfast and dinner, within a short distance of the Congreso campus.
$1,800* + Extended Learning Fees estimated at $609
All fees include welcome/farewell dinners, 4 excursions (Full day Andes, Cooking class, Mendoza city tour & market visit); on ground transportation on site visits and excursions, including airport pickup and drop off; 11 nights private room accommodation with an Argentine family providing daily breakfast and dinner; visits to a local hospital/clinic; and medical insurance. Airfare, meals not listed, and personal expenditures NOT included in the program cost, estimated at $1,700-$2,000.
*Final program price is contingent upon enrollment and currency fluctuation. Global Education will finalize the final payment with registered participants before the due date to hopefully offer a reduced fee.
Some Useful Airfare Search Engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline. Do NOT book flights until Global Education has given you the authorization to do so.
- Attend a required information session led by the Program Leader running your course: Dr. Darin Woolpert: email@example.com
- Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials must be completed by Monday, March 14 along with your non-refundable $500 deposit. Online payment preferred through TransAct. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to avoid the 2.65% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted via the Cashier's Office in Cougar Central, but must include this deposit form to track the payment.
- Final payment of program fees will be due by Friday, April 15, following the payment guidelines outlined above. Payment of tuition related expenses (estimated at $597 + $12 transcript fee) will be billed by Extended Learning and appear on your Student Center, following the payment guidelines set out for Summer Session. Please await an email from Global Education noting final payment due as we hope to offer a small discount if currency remains favorable.
- Submit your flight details to Global Education: Flight Information Form
- Attend mandatory pre-departure orientation with your Program Leader & Global Education to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course(s). Some course requirements/sessions may take place prior to leaving, beginning in early May.
Summer in Argentina: Study Abroad in SLP Application
Summer in Argentina SLP Application