Germany - Worms
Hochschule Worms: University of Applied Sciences
The University of Applied Sciences, Worms is a small, modern university founded in 1996 with an emphasis on Business Administration and Computer Science. Nearly 20% of its 3,200 student population come from partner universities in over 50 countries worldwide. Located just 40 miles outside of Frankfurt-am-Main, students will enjoy a wide variety of courses in English and an option to take German langauge on the side.
Worms dates back to the 5th century A.D. and is situated near the pristine Odenwald forest and mountainous Pfalz region. The city will offer a wonderful blend of history, culture, festivals, and nightlife for visiting students. Beyond this, the university offers its own student-run bar and cafe, a wide array of student clubs and organizations, and various sports clubs to enhance student engagement. Centrally located in both Germany and continental Europe, Worms will offer ample opportunities to explore the local and regional landscape.
- Free German language classes for visiting exchange students
- Affordable university led excursions in the region
- Buddy Programme to help with cultural adjustment
Summer Semester: Early March to Late June/early July
Winter Semester: Early September to Late December
Please see the 2020-21 Academic Calendar for specific dates.
Language of Instruction
- Class Level: Upper-division status (completion of 60 units)
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure.
- Prerequisites: Upper-division courses may require previous experience in the field. If, based upon transcript review, you do not have the necessary prerequisites, you will be asked to consider an alternative course.
- Special Note to Business Majors: In order to receive credit for upper-division courses abroad, you must have already completed your Pre-Core course work at CSUSM.
15 semester units/30 ECT units (European Credit Transfer system). Typically this equates to 6-8 classes/semester. Enrollment in 5 ECT unit courses or a combination of 5 ECT + 3 ECT unit courses is strongly recommended to attempt meeting the 4 unit CSUSM Business requirements. Taking a 5 ECT unit course alone may clear a course requirement, but you may find yourself deficient in units. Discuss your options with your Option Chair well before applying.
There are no campus dormitories, however the International Center can assist in finding accommodation on a first come, first served basis. Generally students will placed in shared, furnished flats within an easy commute to campus. Be sure to apply for Housing assistance on your online application, and once completed, send this application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students pay their normal State University Fee to CSU San Marcos, currently $3,689/semester. No tuition or fees due at Worms.
- No on-campus residence. Shared flats at 250-400 Eurso per month, approximately $360/month.
- Health Insurance: $47/month.
- Visa Fees: 60 Euro, roughly $66 and subject to change.
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $500 per month.
- Sample 2020-21 Budget
For Summer Semester Study: October 1
For Winter Semester Study: March 15
How to Apply
- Visit Hochschule Worms' International Center page to learn about the university and read the International Student Handbook.
- For life in and around Worms, visit the city's official tourism site.
- Consult with the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in ELB 588 to determine if you are eligible for this program.
- Consult with a faculty advisor in your major department to determine if the Worms courses will count toward your major. If so, complete a Study Abroad Credit Approval Form.
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please send the transcript(s) directly to Global Education, c/o Tiffany Gabbard, ELB 588, 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd. San Marcos, CA 92096-0001 or pick up in person and deliver to Global Education (preferred).
- Request to be nominated by the Study Abroad Advisor, after which point you will receive application materials directly from Hochschule Worms. Follow the application steps outlined. Print out a copy of your online application and bring with your transcript and other application materials to the Study Abroad Advisor to keep on file.
- Submit additional application details to Global Education here: CSUSM General Study Abroad Application
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend the pre-departure orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as necessary regarding the visa process after acceptance.