The University of Applied Sciences, Worms is a small, modern university founded in
1996 with an emphasis on Business Administration and Computer Science. Nearly 20%
of its 3,200 student population come from partner universities in over 50 countries
worldwide. Located just 40 miles outside of Frankfurt-am-Main, students will enjoy
a wide variety of courses in English and an option to take German langauge on the
Worms dates back to the 5th century A.D. and is situated near the pristine Odenwald
forest and mountainous Pfalz region. The city will offer a wonderful blend of history,
culture, festivals, and nightlife for visiting students. Beyond this, the university
offers its own student-run bar and cafe, a wide array of student clubs and organizations,
and various sports clubs to enhance student engagement. Centrally located in both
Germany and continental Europe, Worms will offer ample opportunities to explore the
local and regional landscape.
- Free German language classes for visiting exchange students
- Affordable university led excursions in the region
- Buddy Programme to help with cultural adjustment
Summer Semester: Early March to Late June/early July
Winter Semester: Early September to Late December
Please see the 2017-18 Academic Calendar for specific dates.
Language of Instruction
- Class Level: Upper-division status (completion of 60 units)
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure.
- Prerequisites: Upper-division courses may require previous experience in the field.
If, based upon transcript review, you do not have the necessary prerequisites, you
will be asked to consider an alternative course.
- Special Note to Business Majors: In order to receive credit for upper-division courses
abroad, you must have already completed your Pre-Core course work at CSUSM.
15 semester units/30 ECT units (European Credit Transfer system). Typically this
equates to 6-8 classes/semester. Enrollment in 5 ECT unit courses or a combination
of 5 ECT + 3 ECT unit courses is strongly recommended to attempt meeting the 4 unit
CSUSM Business requirements. Taking a 5 ECT unit course alone may clear a course
requirement, but you may find yourself deficient in units. Discuss your options with
your Option Chair well before applying.
There are no campus dormitories, however the International Center can assist in finding
accommodation on a first come, first served basis. Generally students will placed
in shared, furnished flats within an easy commute to campus. Be sure to apply for
Housing assistance on your online application, and once completed, send this application
- Students pay their normal State University Fee to CSU San Marcos, currently $3,689/semester.
No tuition or fees due at Worms.
- No on-campus residence. Shared flats at 250-400 Eurso per month, approximately $360/month.
- Health Insurance: $47/month.
- Visa Fees: 60 Euro, roughly $66 and subject to change.
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $500 per month.
- Sample 2017-18 Budget
For Summer Semester Study: October 1
For Winter Semester Study: March 15
How to Apply
- Visit the Hochschule Worms website at http://www.hs-worms.de to learn about the university and read the International Student Handbook.
- Consult with the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in Craven Hall 3200 to determine if you
are eligible for this program.
- Consult with a faculty advisor in your major department to determine if the Worms courses will count toward your major. If so, complete a Study Abroad Credit Approval Form.
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in
classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please send the transcript(s)
directly to Global Education, c/o Tiffany Gabbard, Craven 3200, 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley
Rd. San Marcos, CA 92096-0001 or pick up in person and deliver to Global Education (preferred).
- Request to be nominated by the Study Abroad Advisor, after which point you will receive
application materials directly from Hochschule Worms. Follow the application steps outlined. Print out a copy of your online application and bring with your transcript
and other application materials to the Study Abroad Advisor to keep on file.
- Submit additional application details to Global Education here: CSUSM General Study Abroad Application
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend the pre-departure orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as
necessary regarding the visa process after acceptance.