CSUSM CULTURE: Working Together
Intellectual engagement, community, integrity, innovation, and inclusiveness are CSUSM’s
core values and the foundation for our unique culture. We share an overarching commitment
to student success and meeting the needs of the communities we serve. Our culture
reflects the institution’s growth and development over time (our history), creates
the environment in which we do our daily work (our present), and helps shape the direction
of the University (our future).
Civility and Respect
- We conduct ourselves with care, respect and empathy;
- We value individual and cultural diversity, and respect multiple perspectives;
- We agree to disagree on some issues, and attempt to find common ground;
- We assume good intent with one another, work on the premise of mutual trust, and attempt
to resolve issues directly.
Communication and Collaboration
- We communicate with respect even when we disagree;
- We work with a spirit of collaboration and inclusion so that activities and initiatives
flow through all divisions;
- We consider the impact on others and seek input before making decisions, whenever
- We clearly and transparently communicate decisions and how they were made.
Support and Success
- We welcome new hires and support all employees to help them successfully contribute
- We learn, discover, apply knowledge, and continuously improve;
- We create an environment of mutual support and cooperation, encourage growth and act
as champions of one another, while valuing accountability and ownership;
- We appreciate and value each other, recognize accomplishments, and celebrate successes.