GRANTS AND CONTRACTS DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT
Proposal Preparation Overview
The proposal development process involves multiple critical steps, from locating a
suitable funding source to submitting a competitive application to the funding agency.
OGSR Grants and Contracts Development staff will provide support to principal investigators/project
directors throughout the process.
Proposal Preparation Basics
Definition of "Proposal": A proposal is a detailed request for funding prepared in accordance with the sponsor's instructions.
- A proposal must comply with University policies and sponsor requirements.
- A proposal, upon submission, becomes an official record of what CSUSM Corporation
and CSUSM promised to the sponsor.
Preparing the Proposal
- The Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible for preparing the proposal but normally
does so in conjunction with an administrative or fiscal officer.
- Review the sponsor guidelines carefully. Most sponsors require preferred formats and
specific forms. In addition, each solicitation details the requirements for that particular submission.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) and National Institutes of Health (NIH) requirements mandate proposal-specific financial Conflict of Interest (COI) disclosures from PIs and senior/key personnel for new proposals, and annual disclosure updates thereafter. COI disclosures may be