Many of our students are struggling to make ends meet, juggling work and family responsibilities
in addition to their course load. Anything we can do to help reduce the cost of their
education will support their well-being and academic success. Your participation is
essential to the success of this effort.
Open for CALM - April 17, 10am - 2: 30PM
- Drop in for 1 on 1 assistance locating lower-cost or no-cost solutions for your course(s).
- Demonstrations of low cost courses and supplemental materials built on OER.
- Lunch and learn with the Follett campus bookstore RSVP
#Textbookbroke - April 19, 5-9pm, Palomar College
How faculty took back control of their course materials. Faculty from various disciplines share their experience transitioning to low or
no cost course materials. Free parking and dinner. RSVP
What You Can Do
- Review this list of 12 ways you can reduce your textbook costs.
- If you're in love with your textbook, or just stuck with it:
- implement some of the cost-control measures described in the list of 12 ways.
- negotiate with the publisher. Many faculty have negotiated a 30% to 50% cost reduction
with their publisher. Do some cost comparisons of other potential texts for your course
- check the price each year, publishers have been known to raise even negotiated price
in subsequent years.
- see whether one of these lower-cost alternatives might work for your course.
- Dip your toes into the vast pool of free and open education resources available for your course.
- Consult the faculty heroes page and talk with the faculty in related disciplines -
CHABSS, CEHHS, CSM, or COBA - that have already CALMEd one or more of their courses.
- Participate in the twice-yearly CALM call for faculty proposals to reduce their textbook
- If you are already using low or no-cost materials, we have created the CALM Faculty
Heroes program to give you the recognition you deserve.
If you have already CALMed down the cost of your course materials, we’d love to recognize
your efforts, by including this CALM Certified badge in your Cougar Course, featuring
you on our Faculty Heroes pages (CHABSS, CEHHS, CSM, and COBA) and including you in other CALM recognition events. All you have to do is fill out
this short form to let us know what you're doing. It takes about 5 minutes of your time. We'll
review the information and get back to you within a month.