The Book resource makes it easy to create multi-page resources with a book-like format.
Previously created websites can be imported directly into a Book. Books can be printed
entirely or by chapter. The Book resource allows you to have main chapters and sub
chapters, but it goes no deeper. In other words, sub chapters cannot have their own
sub chapters, as the module is intended to be a simple resource for teachers and students.
The Book resource is not interactive. You can, however, link to choices, forums etc.,
from within a book.
Creating a Book Resource
- In a topic, click on Add an Activity
- Choose the Resource
- Click on the Book icon
- Name - Use a descriptive name for your book as it will form the link the students will
click on to access it.
- Description - Provide information for your students here so they are clear what the book is about.
Click "Show editing tools" to display the rich text editor and drag the bottom right
of the text box out to expand it.
- Display description on course page - Enabling this will display the description on the course page just below the link
to the book.
- There are more settings in menus on the right
- Appearance: Chapter formatting. The options are:
- None - chapter and subchapter titles are not formatted at all, use if you want to define
special numbering styles. For example letters: in chapter title type "A First Chapter",
"A.1 Some Subchapter",...
- Numbers - chapters and subchapters are numbered (1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, ...)
- Bullets - subchapters are indented and displayed with bullets.
- Indented - subchapters are indented.
- Style of navigation. Choose between having navigation as images (1) or text links (2) or no navigation,
simply the TOC (3)
- Adding chapters and subchapters. Titles of chapters appear as links in the table of contents to the left of your
content. It is recommended to keep your titles short. To add a chapter:
- Turn editing on via the link in the Book administration (the little cog in the upper
- Click on the + icon in the Table of Contents or first chapter. The new chapter will
be inserted directly after the chapter whose title is on the same line as the red
cross you click.
- Note that the sub chapter box is checked. A chapter may have many sub chapters, but
sub chapters cannot have further sub chapters. In order to keep this resource simple,
you are limited to two levels. You now see a chapter and a sub chapter.