Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor (Instructor Guide)
Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser used specifically for taking online
quizzes in Cougar Courses. It prevents students from printing, copying, going to another
URL, or accessing other applications (like Word) during a quiz. If a quiz requires
that LockDown Browser be used, students will not be able to take the quiz with a standard
web browser. There is also the additional option of Respondus Monitor, which uses
a student's webcam to record them while they take the quiz. These videos are then
viewable by the instructor through the Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard. Automated
video analysis automatically flags any suspicious behavior in these videos and prioritizes
them for review.
For a quick overview, see the Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Instructor Quick Start Guide.
Enabling Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Once you have finished setting up your quiz, you will need to use the LockDown Browser
Dashboard to enable LockDown Browser for that quiz. Go to your Course Dashboard.
- If you have not done so already, you will need to add the Respondus LockDown Browser
block to your Course Dashboard. See the help guide on adding blocks.
- Click on the Dashboard link in the Respondus LockDown Browser block.
- The first time you access the Dashboard you will see links to information on LockDown
Browser. Click "Continue to LockDown Browser" in the lower right.
- The Dashboard will list all of the quizzes in your course and whether or not they
are currently set to require LockDown Browser and Monitor.
- To enable LockDown Browser and Monitor, click on the down arrow to the left of the
quiz. Then click Settings.
- Click the radio button for “’Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam." If
you also want to enable Monitor, click the radio button for "Require Respondus Monitor
for this exam."
- Click the blue Save + Close button.
- If you import quizzes that required LockDown Browser from a another course container,
you must open the LockDown Browser Dashboard before students begin taking any quizzes that
require LockDown Browser. Failure to do so will cause problems for students attempting
to take the quiz.
- If you update a quiz that requires LockDown Browser or import content from another
course container, we recommend checking your LockDown Browser Dashboard to ensure
everything is still set correctly and there are no Errors that need to be fixed.
Preparing Your Students
- Update your syllabus to include a section on LockDown Browser, what it is, why it
is being used, and the technological requirements, especially the fact that it requires
a full computer (cannot use a Chromebook, tablet, or iPad).
- Link to the Respondus LockDown Browser (Student Guide) help guide in your course container.
- Create a practice quiz that requires LockDown Browser (and Monitor, if you are using
it) so that students can ensure their LockDown Browser is working correctly. We recommend
keeping this quiz open throughout the term and setting it to an unlimited number of
attempts so that students can test their LockDown Browser at any point in the system
if needed (for example, they get a new computer and must re-install the LockDown Browser).
Support for Students
Reviewing Monitor Results
For more information about why Respondus flags video events and how it assigns review
priority, please see this help guide from Respondus.